Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord to the Rescue-Land Ho!

andy gartner

It was 80 degrees last week, the sun shown bright, and everything was in full, spring bloom...finally. Our worst-in recorded history-snowy winter, comfortable tucked us away, in first place by over 14 inches. Then three nights of late April, tree-crushing, nasty, wet snow hit. Tens of thousands without power, people snowbound from over 20 inches of snow, trees down like a tornado, amazingly, in this case-absolutely-no wind-saved many trees). Snow equipment put away for the summer... Out of desperation, I hooked up the '63 Landlord, never used before for this purpose, and somehow got the chains on, and blade installed. (would this small, old thing, really work?? would the BGB hold?? would it ruin the drive, or the tractor?? Yes, I've seen the pics, read the manuals-guess I never believed) Well...welcome to the new "first place champ" of snow removal around here!! :D

the story: http://www.cleveland.com/ohio/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1114507981120820.xml

Andy, any snow this time of year sucks. I tend to find plowing a concrete or paved driveway to be easier to do with these tractors.

Hum... looks like a tiller belt hanging there... someone was anxiously wanting to tiller and ya got snow...bummer I unfortunately have not had enough time to get the tiller out from the pile of crap in my shed and then put the snow blower in it's place. Hope you get to till soon. :)

These machines do a great job of pushing the white stuff. I like the dual lift levers on that machine.

My father-in-law laughed when I said we had a possible snow storm on the way. Fortunately (for us), it stayed just a little West of Pittsburgh, and dumped on eastern Ohio. 8D Moral of the story? Avoid Cleveland at all costs. Hang in there, andy! Spring weather will be back. Tacey PS Nice rig!

Well Andy, you and the ole LL did good. If you come on down you won't have to deal with all that snow messing everything up.:D

Yup, the tiller was ready to go-like Mike's (MBD) planting corn pics in coffee shop-was bone dry here for 2 weeks prior. Was most amazed, although I have read it here before at what a great job these machines do-can't wait to try it with all the correct stuff-wheel weights, counter-weights, proper blade hook-up, etc. ANOTHER DISCOVERY NETTED-I didn't have a vented fuel cap, the minute I vented it, a lot of other engine mysteries were solved with this machine-like hard starting, fuel tank always having to be near filled for engine to run!!!

Ahhh, the old gas cap mystery!!! Just after buying my Landlord in January, I was plowing the driveway and it stalled halfway down. I fired up the quattro and pulled it to the shop. I realized I was not getting any fuel to the carb. So, with the fuel line (disconnected from the carb) in my hand, I reached up and turned the gas cap off. Well, it's suffice to say, I was covered in gas by the time I fumbled around and connected the line back up!!! I washed the cap out in varsol and gas, as well as reamed the little vent hole out a bit. I never tighten the cap right up now....I always back it off 1/16th of a turn, just to be sure. I got a little chuckle out of your post....sorry!

Dan This was a win-win for me!! I was going so fast, and smiling so much...I kept getting bugs in my teeth!!

quote:
Originally posted by andy gartner
Dan This was a win-win for me!! I was going so fast, and smiling so much...I kept getting bugs in my teeth!!
;)

Andy, I watched those clouds go by central Indiana. They kept chanting....Cleveland Rocks, Cleveland Rocks, Cleveland Rocks, Cleveland Rocks. Then it dawned on me that at that same moment I was watching the Drew Carey Show. Perhaps the Indian in me caused a bit of a silent weather chant. Sorry you got dumped on with so much but isnt it grand to know the REAL abilities of these old tractors?

Wow.. what a winter huh? We didn't do too bad here in northern Il. Got about 8" or so twice. Had fun snow blowing with my 6116, but could'a used a little more... I always get a huge energy burst though in the spring so I'm into getting the yard in presentable shape right now. Its amazing what a little daylight will do for ya!

I tried the snowblower-made it one foot, the lime slush I was pushing, totally clogged the shoot. Boy am I stupid, I been reading all those posts, all these years, and never realized how great a 42" snow blade can work...wow! I didn't even mind, disassembling the Landlord to get it out of the bedroom, then having to put it together again outside...

:) I've got a 42" blade all sanded, cleaned up and ready to paint. I still need to get shoes for it though. Its not in my bedroom but its inside my house :D I've never used a blade.. it just came with the tractor. I know what I'll be trying first snow next year. :)

I didn't have skid shoes on the blade either, will try'em next time. The sun makes a huge difference around here! Even the bunkhouse boys are smiling when they drive into town to Starbucks on their trusty B110/112's. They can't wait for the Harley chicks to show up. They have their dump carts all polished up, ready to pick'em up.

quote:
Originally posted by andy gartner
I didn't even mind, disassembling the Landlord to get it out of the bedroom, then having to put it together again outside...
Time to remodel... enlarge the doorways just a skosh.

• 7 months later...
It is Amazing what these old tractors can do when you need to do something with them.They never fail you if you take care of them.