Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Hydro do I need?!?!?

jdschool

The dealer tells me that the hydro in my 18hp Sovereign (model 1692450) has a trashed hydro, although the gear box and everything else are still good. What kind of hydro does this tractor need, and does anyone have one?

Hello. I would be more interested to see what the problem with the pump is, as i ve hardly seen them go. Just seems strange to hear that one is bad. If it has the same trans as a 700 or 900, i have a pump here. That would be a sunstrand model15

What are the symptoms?I find it hard to believe that the hydro would be bad.There pretty much undestructable.Is it full of oil? Is one of the axels turning with no wheel movement?I don't want to say that your dealer does'nt know what there talking about.But I've bought tractors from other dealers that they thought the hydro's where bad.Usually they where just low on oil.

Here are the symptoms: Tractor was working beautifully until it just locked up. Both axles completely locked, nothing moving, even after pushing the "tow release" on the trans. The dealer says that the hydro is not pumping - nothing in, nothing out. Oh, and it's about $1,000. for a used hydro installed - don't even ask about a new one, that's over $1,500.. Any help you guys can give me would be great. I've found a hydro for less, but now I'm wondering if I really need one. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

I had the same problem where it locked up, i tore it down, and 2 of the 9 little pistons were rusted in. Since both assemblies are identical, i have a good set here in my pump. It would be alot cheaper if you attempted to fix it yourslef, its easy once you've done it once or twice, and theres nothing to mess up. It's pretty easy, if you have the time. It will cost alot less also.