Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.PhixIt

The Restoration Diary of a Yeoman 637

Mr.PhixIt
Hey guys, well I got a free tractor this past week!:D:D It is a Yeoman 637. The best part is that I got it for free!!!!8D:D:D:D I got it from a lawnmower shop I help out at on my Saturdays. Ok, about the tractor. It ran when I got it but smokes when you speed up the engine. I was told that it burned a little oil and the smoke is a faint blue. When I got it home I got it to run and after two days I couldn't start it. There was no compression. I took found out that one of the valve seats came out and wedged the valve open. I fixed it with a punch and got it running again. Then a couple days later it wouldn't start again!:(!xx( Well I took the head off again and didn't see anything wrong. So what I'm going to do is put the engine off and start to restore the tractor. I will take the engine back to the shop and work on it there later. So will start on the tractor. This log of the restoration will be like the one Kirk did earlier. Although I don't think mine will be as good since this is my first restoration. Well enjoy the show.............:D8D

Mr.PhixIt
Can any of you give me advice on how to get the paint off of the parts, how to prepare the parts, and what paint to use and where should i paint (outside, inside)? And did you use any clearcoat or anything like that? Sorry for all of the questions, this is my first restore and I need advice. Thanks, Bill

Chris727
To really do a quality job, you will probably want to dissassemble the entire tractor, with the exception of the transmission, if its working ok. Keep track of where all the parts belong. Make sure you clean all the grease off. Then sand to bare metal, sandblasting works great. Sand all rust off. Paint is mostly preferential. You may want to get someone to make reproduction decals before you start stripping it. I don't recommend painting inside your house. You will of coures need to use primer. Try to use the primer which is made to go with the type of paint you use. An open garage would probably be ok if well ventilated. Clearcoat is not neccessary but can also be used. Many people have a different idea of what restored is, at one time I think Kirk or someone explained it. In reality when you restore it should be like its "restored" to a new original condition.

10HorseMan
I had my B-110 sandblasted, and I used a good grade primer. If sandblasted, put primer on asap, since it is very volnurable to moisture and rust. Make sure the metal is about 75-80 degrees before you paint because it will run if not, also dry faster.

Mike
I have a 637 that I have decided will be going to the scrap heap once I sell the 8hp briggs in it, let me know if you are interested in some parts. This one has the hi/lo setup. Mike

RenegadeJ
If you want to use auto paint,{which is much harder finish that rattle cans} I can give you the paint code for the Chevy Carosel Orange which is as close a match to the original as you can get. I had it mixed at local auto paint shop and it turned out real nice. You have to mix the hardener and reducer with it, 3 parts paint, 1 part hardner and 1 part reducer. I have the paint numbers but they are out in the barn. If you are interested let me know.

Mr.PhixIt
I really was looking into the spray paint cans because I don't want to worry about mixing the paint and I don't have an air compressor yet. What kind of spray can paint is the best? Thanks, Bill

Mr.PhixIt
Ok guys, I'm sorry I have put this off for so long, but I had Final Exams at school and didn't have any tractor time. School got out last Thursday, so now I'll have a bunch of tractor time. First of all I want to use spray paint, so which kind of spray paint should I use, Like color, brand,and where to get it. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Bill

bigcountry
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.PhixIt
Ok guys, I'm sorry I have put this off for so long, but I had Final Exams at school and didn't have any tractor time. School got out last Thursday, so now I'll have a bunch of tractor time. First of all I want to use spray paint, so which kind of spray paint should I use, Like color, brand,and where to get it. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Bill
I'd try to find a Rust-O-Leum type paint that way you can use an automotive primer and then do a couple coats of the orange and maybe a spray on clearcoat and have a reasonably durable finish.