Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Delco Regulator for S/G System

B.Ikard

Gents, I was wondering if the Delco voltage regulator for the 15 amp S/G system was interchangeable with any other Delco 12VDC generator charging systems ? Like 12V neg. ground Delco DC generator charging systems found on older farm equipment, pre 1962 GM vehicles, etc? Was curious if the regulator was current specific due to the current coil inside.... Thanks, Ike

The S-G regulators have current limiters built in that limit the charging current to prevent overheating. These S-G units are sealed and will get very hot if allowed to charge at high currents. The type on many of the older farm tractors are ventilated and flow air thru them to cool them. They can be driven to higher currents without damage. If you use a voltage regulator from a farm tractor on a S-G it will work fine as long as the battery is charged and there is very little load on the system. If the battery ever gets run down or a high load is added, the voltage regulator will allow the high current to be generated by the S-G, which will cause it to get very hot and possibly melt the insulation from the coils and burn up the S-G.

Rod, Thanks for the info. That was what I was wondering if I needed a regulator unique to a 15 amp S/G. After thinking about it the cureent coil would have to be sized to the generator output. I assume the farm equipment/automotive stuff was rated >25 amps. Ike

I got one from Napa, maybe $40, have the box at home, so can get you the part # if you like. I looked into this quite a bit & it is important to get one that matched the output of your SG or you could cause problems. Send me an e-mail to remind me