Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Source for Kohler engine rebuild parts?

jlasater

I'm looking for a recommended source for engine rebuild parts for the Kohler K341S engine in my AC 716H (late model). It has a decent knock in the engine when it's running that doesn't ever seem to stop so I don't think it's the crank or rod. Also...what's the recommended tire inflation pressure on the 716H, front and rear?

Jeremy, I just went thru all this with a 341 and went with as much aftermarket "Stens" parts as possible. They are considerably cheaper and mike right on the money. I have a friend that is a Stens dealer so I didn't pay retail.....Jack's small engine on the net is my second choice. Be prepared to bore and turn the crankshaft too. I'm not a Kohler expert but have built a handfull over the years. All of them the bore tapered like a funnel and crankpin looked like an egg. I know a guy that fits Kohler rods with inserts so you can go .020 or .030 and there are several guys on the net that machine rods also. I'd get everything miked before I bought parts Ike

Take off cylinder head and look for carbon build up on fire deck. This is a real good source for a knock and your explanation might be your problem. Tire PSI without looking in book should be about 8-10 rear, 10-15 front. Don't take much.

It rattles even when not under a load, just sitting there. Would that still be a combustion knock vs. a mechanical one? I can rotate the crank back and forth by hand and don't feel any freeplay at all. So the conrod journal on the crank itself wears out of round easily on the Kohlers? Wonder if nitriding or something would be in order to fix it permanently.

If its just a rattle, it could be bad bearings in the balance gears, unless it is a true knock.