Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Motors

Mike

Anybody know what typically has to be done when taking a Kohler 16hp from a green tractor and transplanting it into an AC?I don't plan on using the front pto shaft.As always thank you inadvance. Mike

Hello, If it has the right block, you will have to switch to a oil pan used in an A/C, and change the flywheel adapter. that should be about it

Hopefully its not an "A" block though most deere's and cubs from what I've seen on the 110's through 300's used an "A" block engine. The model # would be like K341A instead of K341. If it is an A block it would probably not work because it does not have the ears on the bottom of the block for the oil pan to bolt to. An "A" block engine sits much lower than the regular ones, and has a very small aluminum oil pan which holds about 1/2 as much oil as cast iron pans used on AC's. I have seen them converted to AC's but its not nearly a factory swap and would in my opinion not be worth doing. You don't want to take chances with crankshaft centerlines etc. If you try shimming it up to line up with your driveshaft, it may be off just enough to cause premature crankshaft bearing or driveshaft damage. If your engine is not an "A" block you should be fine, maybe you would need a different starter, as there are several types and positions used. If you already have an "A" block engine you could likely easily sell it to a deere or cub guy for his machine, then buy the right one for yours and save all the trouble of making something fit which wasn't meant to.