Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Who has a Sunrunner?

beuce

A local dealer has a Sunrunner for sale. I guess it has a twin cylinder engine and is also a hyro. The dealer says it is a strong runner and is asking $575 for it. I Don't know too much about these units and what owners think of them. Does anyone here have a Sunrunner and if so what do you like and dislike about it? If you have pics it would be great :). Also the price, does that sound about right for an average condition Sunrunner? Thanks a bunch Brian

Brian I assume you are refering to the front cut Sunrunner with the rear cargo box. One of our customers had one that still ran but had some belt issues. Seems like you have to dismantle half the mower to put on a new hydro belt. And the steering can get pretty loose. I don't think they even made a trade-in offer when they bought their new one. I'd think $575 to be way high but it's one of those "how bad you want it" things.

Larry, Thanks for your reply, and yes I was referring to the front cut Sunrunner. The concept is cool and would be great to have, but I am leaning towards what you said, $575 seems high to me too.

Hi, We have a couple of these, ours are the earlier series with a 12 hp. We sold about 10 or a dozen of them. The cables were a problem at first, but a revision on the spindle stops solved that. Nist if the ones we sold were built in the mid to late 80s. and are still mowing. We never sold them to anyone that had steep hills or banks to mow, because all front mount mowers have a traction compromise. Otherwise they were a pretty decent unit. If the unit you are looking at has a twin, it has a Vangard in it. The engine would be worth that if it is good. It will also have the floating deck with rollers. Don't sell them short. But if you have to mow banks etc, a tractor would be better. They will back up about 3 times as steep a bank as they will drive up. Al Eden