Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord model questions

MrSteele

I found a Simplicity Landlord, with a "Free" sign attached a few weeks ago. Being a tinkerer, and needing another lawnmower to add to the 'junk' pile in the back of the shop, I decided to take it. When I got it home, I thought it would make a fine mower to use in my woods keeping underbrush from taking over, as walking behind the Yazoo was getting old. I loosened the frozen parts, made a couple of pieces, cleaned it up and lubricated it, then started and drove it yesterday. Will likely need a couple of idlers, know it needs blades and one belt. The tractor has a MFG model number of 990350, Serial number 006413, and is a Landlord 101, according to the hood. Does anyone know what year it is? Judging from the probable age of the Briggs engine, it is older than the 80s, most likely, older than the 70s. I need the length of the belt between the deck and mower. I was told it was 35.1 inches, but that belt is far too short for that location. If it is the right length, does anyone kow how to stretch the spring far enough on the power take off, to put a belt that short on? Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks to all of you! And, a note about getting hooked? This is about the 4th barb in the hook. I have a homebuilt, built by m engine, uses a 34 Ford Transmission mounted behind the differential, which is a shortened 34 Ford. Kinda shifts backwards, but, I planted my corn with it a couple of weeks ago. Also have and need to work on an A Farmal with Armstrong lift. Haven't used it in a few years..but! Have a Cub Cadet that basically works, but I don't like the blade arrangement, so I don't use it a lot. Is more trouble than it is worth? The Landlord is a new toy, I only needed the carb for another old Briggs I have. Now, I have a Landlord, but still need a carb for an old Briggs! Oh Well, perhaps another side of the road will have the carb?

Somehow, that message said one thing, but posted another. The homebuilt was built by my father in the early 50s, uses a ZZ Briggs and Stratton, which a bit of research says was only built for Uncle Sam during the war. That is the engine I need a carb for. But, yesterday, a fact finding dismantling of the carb allowed me to try a newer model needle, and, now, I don't need a carb anymore, not quite as badly, anyway!

• 4 weeks later...
I want to thank you folks for your help. Today, after my patience got the best of me, I replaced the front wheel bearings that fell apart, cleaned and packed the others, greased the front end, decided I would find a way to put thrust bearings on the front end, put a borrowed set of rear ttires/wheels on the Landlord, greased the shafts on the deck, adjusted the PTO clutch, sat on the tractor, started it up, and cut some grass! I will still have to put a set of rings in the engine, put new bearings in the deck, get a new set of blades, and try to put thrust bearings on the steering to make it steer easier. (My other lawnmower is a Dixon ZTR, and I am used to easy change in direction.) The Simplicity, while it drives easy anough, I guess, would benefit from thrust bearings. It seems to have a noisy idler somewhere that will have to be replaced. After cutting some tall grass, weeds and underbrush in the woods today, I have decided that this is a fine 10 HP bush hog for my use, and the extra work and money will be well worth the effort.