Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Earthmoving Fun

cwm1276

My Dad and I worked on my road bank this afternoon. From before the subdivsion was developed the old fence line was a high point between the road and the lawn. We solved most of it. He had his 716 with the tiller and I had the 7117 with the blade. Before

During, Dad had tilled and I was pushing loose dirt off.

[img]/club2/attach/cwm1276/1131.jpg[/img] The two of us passing each other, as I pushed the loose stuff, Dad would make another pass with the tiller and loosen more up for me. [img]/club2/attach/cwm1276/1132.jpg[/img] Done for the day. [img]/club2/attach/cwm1276/1136.jpg[/img] From the other end. [img]/club2/attach/cwm1276/1141.jpg[/img] Now I can touch it up and remove my dirt piles or at least smooth them off and I should be able to mow easier along the road, without feeling like the tractor is going to roll over.

quote:
Originally posted by vfd702
PLEASE NOTE ::::::: NO FDT's WERE USED IN THIS PROJECT !!!!!!!!! YES!!! ken
Hmmmm.... Are you looking for sympathy, understanding, or what? :)

quote:
Originally posted by vfd702
PLEASE NOTE ::::::: NO FDT's WERE USED IN THIS PROJECT !!!!!!!!! YES!!! ken
I grew up with that 716, the FDTs look fun, but the hydros in the RBT's can't be beat in my opinion. Otherwise why have the FDT guys mated the sundstrands to their tractors. Only thing is I should have put the chains on the 7117 as I was spinning in the loose dirt.

Looks great. It sure is amazing what can be done with these little tractors.
quote:
I grew up with that 716, the FDTs look fun, but the hydros in the RBT's can't be beat in my opinion. Otherwise why have the FDT guys mated the sundstrands to their tractors.
I sure like the looks of my B 10 but I pretty much use my 917H for all the hard work.

quote:
Originally posted by cwm1276 I grew up with that 716, the FDTs look fun, but the hydros in the RBT's can't be beat in my opinion. Otherwise why have the FDT guys mated the sundstrands to their tractors. Only thing is I should have put the chains on the 7117 as I was spinning in the loose dirt.
I got a HB212 that didn't need any transplant. BTW, my 620 could have done double duty w/ the tiller on one end and the blade on the other, has a hydro, and I wouldn't have had to get off at all. Now top that.:D PS, looks good.

Dave, the 620 wins, but is less pratical for me as daily machine in mowing around the house. Also part of the fun was having my dad and I going at the same time.

Carl, anytime you can get dad, or any other family member or friend involved in tractor time it's always a winning day.

I can't wait for my 6 month old to be big enough that he can join in the fun.

My youngest is 16. Don't know why, but he complains about the hydro and the shuttle. He likes the old three-speed 61 Wards. Guess some of those FDT members got to him before I could train him about RBTs. Who can you trust anyway? LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
FDT's rule. More stable & easier to operate. :D:D:D:D:D
Without restarting the whole FDT vs. RBT. Why is a FDT more stable, if anything they are narrower and shorter than the RBT's. How are they easier, I need three hands on the RBT, hydro, steering, and lift, wouldn't you need those three on the FDT as well.

Well, I don't know if this is an RBT vs FDT thing, But with the whole tractor swaying when was I was plowing snow with my FDT I couldn't get much traction and ended up sliding in to our pine trees and busted a headlight. Now I don't mine the sway when I cut the lawn since I get a better cut but it's hard to get traction when all the tractor wants to do is sit and spin.

Carl, The B-1 & 700/725's sit lower (e.g. lower center of gravity) and you can reach the ground with your feet easier if they do start to tip. I just feel a lot more secure on them than on my Sovereign. It's kinda of like you sit in a b1/700/725 as opposed to sitting on top of the RBT's. As for hands, with the the old 3-speeds you use your foot on the clutch to stop/start so your hands are free to steer and operate the throttle or lift lever. With the Sovereign you are correct. You need 3 hands to operate the hydro, lift, throttle, and steering. But, I do like the hydro. My opinion, Roy

That looks like a good day with your Dad, and had fun too! Can't beat that a'tall.

A little more work and my bank will be less steep. I was out digging by hand (had to watch for the fiber buried next to work area) last night and had the tiller loosening up some more. I hope with a couple more hours of work it will be ready to reseed the lawn, to bad most of that time is final smoothing with the shovel and rake, not much tractor work left.

I have to jump into this FDT vs. RBT argument. We have fought this battle many times. This time I have to pick a fight with my buddy "Roy". 1. My FDT (the 61 Wards) will turn the sharpest of any of my tractors. One for the FDTs. 2. For me, it takes the same number of hands for each of my tractors. I need a hand for the steering, a hand for the lift, and a hand to change gears. I can use the foot clutch on all of them if necessary, 3-speed, shuttle, and hydro. I hardly ever need to change throttle, but if I did it wouldn't be at the same time as shifting gears or pulling on the lift, so I didn't count that one. Both the same. 3. My 713S has the highest seat and is also the most stable tractor, with the 26x12x12 tires and deep dish wheels. Toss-up, not factory. 4. The longer wheelbase of the RBTs makes them ride smoother. One for RBTs. 5. Feet are not exposed to implements or rear tires on RBTs. One for RBTs. 6. Later model RBTs have muffler inside hood to protect driver from burns. One for RBTs. 7. You can stand on the running boards of a RBT, making it easier to get on and off of. One for RBTs. (I know at least one person disagrees with this.) 8. RBTs have the cutout switches to idiot proof the tractors. One for RBTs (Depending on how you view it). 8. RBTs have a better steering wheel. One for RBTs. 9. RBTs have limited-slip, rather than controlled traction diffs. One for RBTs (Depending on how you view it). RBTs are newer, therefore they "should" have improvements over the FDTs. Drivetrains are basically the same. Attachments are basically the same. Operation is basically the same. Fun is basically the same. I, myself don't like either. I like "both". Actually I think there should really be three types, Peg FDTs, Platform FDTs and RBTs. The peg FDTs (like my 61 Wards) have only a narrow bar to put your foot on. The Platform FDTs have a larger flat platform to put your foot on. The RBTs have a really large platform to put your foot on. Maybe there should be only two types, "Peg" and "Platform" tractors. This would put many of the "B's" into the same category as the RBTs. Wow, wouldn't a change like this really shake up the club. LOL Wait a minute! I bolted aluminum platforms from a wheelchair to the pegs on my 61 Wards. That makes all of mine platform tractors from 61 thru 82. So much for my reasoning. NEVERMIND.

Now I only have experience with the RBTs, but if I am on a slope that would make feel like would tip over, A. It is really to steep to be on in the first place, Dangerous in other ways as well. B. It most likely is not good for the tractor, even with pressurized oil systems, the tractor was not made to function in those conditions. The FDT do have to turning radius I will give them that one, and they "gave birth" to the RBTs so I will give them one for that too.

Rod, I'm not so sure the so called "improvements" on the newer tractors are actual improvements. Seems to me like they screwed up a lot of FDT features on the RBT's. I like my Sovereign but prefer the B-1 due to shorter turning radius, easier steering, lower CG, easier to step onto (just swing a leg over, no need to climb on a running board), what I consider a better PTO (no cone clutch & shorter drive belts), etc. Carl, Regarding slopes, in E. Tennessee there isn't a lot of flat land. You gotta mow what you have. The debate rages on, Roy

Project Update. I have on last pile to smooth out and I am done. I drove along the grass left in the ditch along the orange flags and I hardly had to leave my seat to sit on the fender. I am very happy about that. I am just waiting on some rain so I can seed the area. Roy I can understand your point on the cone clutch, but it is nice having a single clutch for all attachments than seperate controls for each. (Yes the earlier RBTs have 2 clutches for the front and rear PTOs).