Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help in Identification Allis/Simplicity?

laytonlight

Just bought this and just joined. It was advertised as an Allis and has the Allis logo, but, from perusing this site it looks like all of the Allis garden tractors were yellow. I can't find an ID tag anywhere. It has a Kohler 14 Horse which is newer and, from some metal cutting they did underneath, not stock. Any help is appreciated. I'd like to get the ID so I can download and buy some manuals & get some belts, etc. I have more photos in My Gallery and I can e-mail more detailed ones if it would help. Thanks in advance! Layton Light

It is indeed one or the other ;) All the Allis "foot draggers" were originally yellow. Could be a Simp with an A/Cc grill too. Or a Montgomery Ward [:0] With the round hood, it is one of the following, Allis B 10 early, Allis Big Ten, Allis B 10 late, Allis B 12, Simplicity Landlord, Simp Landlord 101, Montgomery Wards Squire and possibly a couple others. Originally, it would have had a Cast Iron Briggs engine, 9 hp, 10 hp, or 12 hp. The tag, if it has one, should be centered behind the seat. With the aftermarket seat, it may possibly be under the back edge of the seat too. As for belts etc, I'm pretty sure they all used the same belts, and you could download a manual that would work for everything but the engine using model 990314 (Landlord 9 hp) or 990350 (landlord 101 10 hp) and a few others. I dont know if there are any other mechanical differences you could see, to help identify it better. I usually go by the engine B) There were grill differences early I think, maybe someone else will know for sure. Without knowing if it has all original parts, you may never know. The grill (2 piece) rules out that the grill is off a B 12 (1 piece). I cant see good enough to tell what the grill supports look like. On the early landlords, the silver uprights (painted over on yours) were a permanent part, while on later models they were a cover strip screwed on to the sides. By the way, Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to The Best garden tractor club on the net. :D:D:D

Welcome to the club. I'd say your tractor is a Simplicity Landlord circa 1964-66. It also looks like it could be a combination of one or more tractors. It could also be a B-10 repainted Simplicity Orange-red. The id tag should be on the seat pan behind the seat but they often fall off or get painted over. The Kohler is non-stock as they didn't start using Kohlers til they started producing RBT's (running board tractors). If you browse the Simple Tractors site you will find heaps of info there as well what you'll get here. Enjoy!

Looking at the tranny and steering might yield clues. On the early 9 hp Landlords I 've seen some with the round steering gear. If its round and not pie shaped it would have to be a 9hp landlord.

Sam I agree. My early B-10 has the round steering gear also so it should be a 9hp Landlord or a 63-64 B-10.

Welcome aboard. I can't add much more on identification. I do see that your tractor has an aftermarket racing type steering wheel. But seriously, the only thing that hasn't been mentioned is that it looks like you have a steel plate that has been added to give support/strength or repair to the frame where the bevel gear box (BGB) mates up to the front of the frame (just under the shifting lever). That isn't a bad thing if it had been damaged there and repaired. One less thing you have to contend with.

Nice score whatever it turns out being. Too bad someone replaced a cast iron Briggs with one of them toilet flushers.

The hot steering wheel is what sold me on it! :D Seriously though, From the feedback, for purpose of manuals and such I'm going with the 9 Horse Landlord. Thanks for all the replies! The next step is hooking up the mower deck, or at least figuring out how to do it and getting the right size belts! Thanks Again for the help. Off to watch Deadwood now! Layton Light

Welcome aboard. Now I know at least one other person named Layton. :) Layton is my middle name.

Another difference from early and late Landlords and B10's were the front axles and spindles were heavier on the later 10HP models while the 9HP models had a more squared off sides on the spindles, later model front axles are slightly thicker too. Grill screens are definitely from a landlord, while the logo appears to have been taken off a B10 or B12. I think there are also some differences in the center PTO and the rear lift rods. On the later models the rear lift rods were solid while earlier models removable ends. Hope this helps and Weclome to the club!

the grill looks like the one i took off a 2012but unstead of A/C it has the S but the hood on the 2012 is flat not rounded. [img]/club2/attach/jj marshall/grill 003.jpg[/img] JJ

JJ, Sounds like you had the wrong hood if it was flat. The hood to match your grill in the picture would be round. All the FDT's before before about 1968 had round hoods with the exception of the B-207 but I don't know when they first came out. Here is a pic of a 1967 2012 with the round hood.

The tractors with the large one peice rear fender were first to get the flat hoods such as the 2210 and B110.

Welcome to the club. If it looks like a tractor run like a tractor is a tractor is a good thing. Have fun that what it's all about.

Welcome to the Club. I have a 61 Wards (Simp 700), with a 14Hp Kohler in it. Yours is the only other one of the older machines that I know of, with that engine in it. Yes, I put the Kohler in mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727 The tractors with the large one peice rear fender were first to get the flat hoods such as the 2210 and B110.
One minor clarification -- the 1968 model Simplicity 2110 and 3012 were the first with flat hoods. The 1967 model 2010 and 2012 were the last with round hoods....