Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb gasket pics

Simplicity314

HI...I posted last week about a 7 hp pull start on a 707. I had spark and fuel going to the carb, but it wouldn't start. I suspected the carb gasket after rebuilding it, so I took it apart again here is the body and the gaskets.

I had the one on the right installed, since it had a hole cut out for a jet undernieth. You can kind of see it, near the tower in the middle, just off center to the left. Because of the casting, the gasket does not make a seal; it's just 1/8" maybe over that hole. Is that still the correct gasket? Any help would be appreciated. Float was replaced and seems okay--no leaks or anything. Only other red flag that came up was the long needle jet (that screws up into the body) was a bit too loose. Probably woosed it out of fear of distorting it. (I do use a gunsmithing screwdriver). Okay, thanks in advance

The long tube, that the main jet goes into, must be very tight. If not, fuel will leak around the metal-to-metal seat and flood the engine. I have had problems with these in the past.

check to see if the tube is clear also the tiny holes on the side of the tube too if it has them.

Thanks batty and hubbard. It may very well be the tube--it's new, so I doubt it's clogged. It probably wasn't tight enough. I thought that if gas was getting by the threads it would run out the carb, like if the float is bad. I'll wait a bit to see if anyone can weigh in on the gaskets. If not, I'll put it back together again and see what happens. Thanks. --Jim

If the gas is leaking around the seal in the tube, it "will" leak out of the carb just like a float that isn't shutting off. If it isn't leaking out of the carb or flooding the engine, then the tube is not the problem. Since it wouldn't start, are you sure there was fuel going thru the carb. I like to mount the carb with the bowl off, then turn on the fuel and check where the float stops the gas flow. This way I am sure the float is working right and I have good gas flow. I then reassemble the float bowl, tube, and jet, then try to start.

That's a good idea, hubbard..thanks! At least I didn't get to putting it together yet, so I can try that. A little bit of gas would pour out of the bottom occasionally while trying to start it, and the welch plug on the intake mani. got wet w/ gas around the edges, so it's probably flooding (The carb is the old style 3-screw two piece updraft--the welch plug is on the manifold above the carb body). I did put some press-in/finger caulk around the outside of the welch plug temporarily in case air was getting in--still wouldn't start. OK..here goes nothin'... Thanks again Rod.