Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Deutsch

kemp chipper?

Tom Deutsch
Not sure where I should post this. Sorry! I need guidance, opinions or experience from the group. I have a line on a mint condition Kemp chipper/shredder with 8 hp Kohler. The fellow's mother gave it to him (he says she paid more than $3500?) several years ago and he has never really used it. He listed it on Ebay twice -- the first time the auction ended on a Tuesday afternoon and only got up to $680; the second time he ended the auction early (I've asked him why -- waiting for his reply). I had offered him $750 (outside of e-bay) and at first he wanted $850 but now he's contacting me asking if I want it for the $750. Sounds like he needs the cash. Should I jump on it? Anybody ever seen one of these chew on a branch? Thanks in advance!

JP
Tom, IMHO if he paid 3.5k, I have a LOT more stuff for him to buy. I have both a Kemp & MacKissic 'whacker' & they do a pretty good job. Heck, I'll sell you my Kemp for 300! JP PS The one that's out there now looks pretty clean!

RayS
Tom, Not far from my place is a new Mackissic with a 5hp on it. It is the same as the tractor mounted other than the engine. They wanted $1350.00 for it the last time I was in there. Ray

PatrickE
I have been lookng for a chipper, in the paper and ebay. Last friday I saw one in a yard for sale just a mile from home, it was a Troy Built Super Tomahawk. It was like new, used very little and I gave him $200 for it. We pulled out about 10 bushes and cut 2 trees, ran it for about 4 hours and it took everything I could toss in to it. I was real happy with the Troy Built.

patrician12
I bought a chipper/shedder vac that is self powered. 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse.It has a 10 hp engine and works well and takes up to 4"..It is a White .It was like $2800.00 new.I was told early on that you need at least 10hp or your wasting your time.I'm sorry I didn't get a 16hp.

Tom Deutsch
All this input is great, thanks. I've seen older flywheel-driven 5 hp chippers outperform new 8 or 10 hp crapsman or MTD chippers. Flails, hammers, blades, flywheels -- I think I'm probably more confused than when I started! Is it as simple as looking for the biggest hp sticker, or is there a format that is better than another?

JP
Maybe a tow behind LOL.... Have a look here; http://www.bargaintraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/7/8/1/78983481.htm JP PS Even though you don't want my Kemp..... LOL

lndscpr
I am going to list my 7hp mackissic soon. It is here in Mass. Sorry no shipping. I would like $400 for it. Will handle anything you can get into the chute. John

KVANDY12
I had a 8HP troy bilt spent more time triming branch to put them chute than chipping. And it was slow. Sold it. It's faster for me to load the pick up and drive them 5 mile to the tranfer station.