Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Case of indecision

john-holcomb

I picked up a 1967 Case 155 on sat. now what should I do with it. The sheet metal is very nice [always stored inside].The K-241 Kohler has good compression but the motor/gen unit is burnt out. Tires are junk and the seat needs a cover but the tractor is clean no oil leaks anywhere around the hydro. No attachments. If it was a Simplicity I would fix it and sell it but a Case? Should I part it, sell as is or fix it and sell it. Any thoughts? In the big tractor world most of us snobs think that its just a Case of arrested development.:D

I would say fix and keep it or resell it.Around me case bring pretty good money.Just my 2 cents Tony

I would fix it or sell it as is if you don't want to keep it. They still bring decent money around here and they are pretty tough old tractors. Don't part it out though especially if it only needs those relatively minor things to get it going again. If the sheetmetal is real good it should be a desirable tractor to a case collector.

I guess that would depend on what you feel you need out of the tractor..If you was to fix it you will have more money invested than you can get out of it without having any implements for it..and most times thats what happens even if you do have implements.. Now if you sell it the way it is you may make a little cash depending on what you have in it but I think most of the time parting out a tractor will bring the most money..That said, I always have a hard time parting out a complete tractor that has good metal and that has potential.. I am trying to think what a 155 looks like as I think its what my brother has..He has all sorts of implements for his and he has owned it since it was only a couple years old...

I'd fix it and sell it. They aren't too great to do work with that hydraulic drive. I got a motor and trans from a 66 case. The 10hp kohler wasnt used much, but the block is so ancient, i cant add the bendix style starter, and they didnt even put balance gears in them then.

Sounds way to good to part out! Especially a good original garaged tractor. Could sell as a fixer upper. A 155 is a neat looking tractor!

My pet peave is taking a good piece of equipment and selling it peace meal, when it could be fixed. Or sold as is whole for some one to fix, just like us with our Simps. and ACs. My opinion.

Thanks everyone for the input. I also hate to part out a good tractor so I guess I will try to get it going. But if anyone wants it the way it is $250 would buy it. Thanks Again. John

quote:
Originally posted by KVANDY12
My pet peave is taking a good piece of equipment and selling it peace meal, when it could be fixed. Or sold as is whole for some one to fix, just like us with our Simps. and ACs. My opinion.
I wonder just how many of our Club members tractors are running and working now because I choose to piece out rather than rebuild or sell whole?8D? 10? 20? 50? 100? More?

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam I wonder just how many of our Club members tractors are running and working now because I choose to piece out rather than rebuild or sell whole?8D? 10? 20? 50? 100? More?
Well Sam, Speaking for myself I have 4 tractors withs parts purchased from you.:D

Sam, I have a picture collection of about 25 Oliver 70's built between 1935 an 37 that have parts bought from me that helped bring them back to life. I know for a fact that there are at least a couple of hundred tractors and garden tractors out there with parts I supplied. If the new man at Simplicity cuts back on support for old tractors, we "wreckers" may be the only sorce for some parts. I still hate to dismantle a complete restorable tractor, but I know I'll do it again.

Don't take me wrong. I ownly mean that a tractor should be gaven a chance to be rebuilt if it does't cost more to do it than what it will be worth. But we even wear out an need replacement parts. I look on E-bay and see parted out motor that if they were sold whole some one would buy and rebuilted.

quote:
Originally posted by KVANDY12
Don't take me wrong. I ownly mean that a tractor should be gaven a chance to be rebuilt if it does't cost more to do it than what it will be worth. But we even wear out an need replacement parts. I look on E-bay and see parted out motor that if they were sold whole some one would buy and rebuilted.
Just ticklin your toes:D I'll just be careful not to show pictures of a complete tractor before it gets split up;)

I think parting out really depends on what you have. You have to take into account which parts you can sell an how much you can realistically get for them and then figure how much of the machine won't sell. If 2/3 won't sell I wouldn't part it out. I have been trying to sell some stuff for years. In general people are very cheap. They want something great for nothing. They get you to take something, dismantle it and box for shipping, research to see if it fits their machine, and then never get back to you. I have seen lots of parts listed on ebay which do not sell and end up just taking up someones space and costing them listing fee's. You will likely end up with lots of parts you can't sell but are too good to throw away.