Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC416H Problem

PETED

I have an AC416H with a Kohler K341. I am trying to troubleshoot a poor running condition. After a few minutes of operation, the engine begins to stall. I have to pull out the choke to save it from stalling out. Eventually, I have to run with the choke almost totally closed. Is this a carburetor/fuel problem or perhaps time for a tune up? Any help is appreciated. PeteD

Sounds like a fuel flow problem. If the fuel flow is restrickted, it will let the carb fill with gas while not running, but when it runs it slowly starves for fuel. I'd pull th fuel lines from the pump and look for a full sized stream of gas flowing. If it dosn't, check for a blocked fuel line, or trash in the tank outlet or fittings.

May want to check the inside of the gas tank. I recently found a piece of debri floating in my tank and would be sucked down to the fuel outlet of the tank causing my engine to backfire and stall. Same tractor also (AC314 with Kohler engine). As soon as I would shut the engine off for about 5 minutes that piece of debri would float back to the top of the gas tank and the motor would run good for another 10 minutes until it be sucked back down to the bottom. I still have to take off my gas tank and empty it out.

I use a vacume pump that is a pump to fill the kerasene heaters to pump gas out of the tanks. a lot easier than removeing the tank. I have about 6 of these if any one want one they can have one for the price of postage. Ken

I also use an inline see-thru filter (I buy them bulk from Jacks small engines). Check the pump, tank, and fuel lines. Make sure you have good gas flow. JH

Thanks for the replies. The culprit was the fuel filter. Although I had good flow through it when I disconnected the fuel line at the inlet to the fuel pump, it was clogged pretty good and would clog when fuel was drawn through it.