Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CORRECT MOWER BELT ADJUSTMENT

2980mike

I have a 728 Simplicity broadmoor, what is the correct procedure for adjusting the belt for the mower deck? 2980mike :D:D

The only think that Ithink that is adjustable is the belt stops on front pto pulleys and on the deck .I usually set them 1/8" from hitting belt,Hope this helps and good luck

The 728 has a spring loaded idler gear under the deck covers. That is the only adj. for the deck belt. If you are not using a Simplicity belt it might not be up to par.

If you have the correct size belt, and your spring tension take up pulley is working correctly, you may have the belt routed around the pulleys incorrectly

Hi, On the rod that goes from the has a spring and a set collar on it. When the mower is engaged the collar should be adjusted so there is 1/2" of space between the bracket and the collar. This gives 1/2" of compression to the spring. This 1/2" spec is fairly common with Simplicity "stuff". A little more won't hurt, but don't go past 3/4". Al Eden

I could have swore that I posted a response to this yesterday. Al gave an answer since then so all I have to add then is to make sure the rod is not bent and the belt is in good shape or else it likes to disengage itself or altleast my 738 did till I straightened the rod.