Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lights for a BigTen

whabadoo

I have a AC BigTen and would like to add lights to the front of the tractor. Any suggestions on what/where to look for these? After market?

I stole an ideal from another member (sorry, can't rem. who) and put some small auto lights underneath the hood. The ones that mount on the outside look the best, but I would break them off in no time in my yard. The lights I got were 15.00 for the pair, and had the wire and everything to mount them. I put them in the holes that were intented for the light bar. Another factor is cost. A light bar will cost around 25 or 30 bucks, add the lights and wiring and it adds up in a hurry.

These come from the tractor supply, and were fairly inexpensive. The bar was made by Rob-B. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/B-10.jpg[/img]

If you can`t find OEM at a show or reasonably priced on eBay here are a really close knock off of the originals and here is the web site http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=28912&langId=-1 . There is also a neat post by Ridgerunner in the show and tell section.

Ray Those are great looking lights. Very close to stock. I called them, the black lights shown are $44.00 each. The chrome ones are $60.00 each. Here are some other lights in pic below, not as deep. The black ones are $28.00 each. The chrome ones have a toggle on/off switch, like the old Guide lights system and are $35.00 each. They are new (nos) 30-year old tractor lights, come with a 6-volt sealed beam, (w/a 12 volt system, one can run a pair in series, use an in-line resistor, or replace the bulb w/a 12 volt.

Note: Rod Hi-The 12-Volt bulbs for these lights (not Ray's) are a common # 4111. The bulbs can be switched from 6-volt to a 12-volt bulb for an additional $5.00 (6 and 12 bulbs are both USA made GE's).

Just for information, I priced some recently and the bulb alone for one of those lights will be around $13 to $18 depending on wattage and beam pattern. I have two thin lights (about half the front-to-back thickness as the ones shown by Ray above) that I want to mount on my 61 Wards. I just have to make the mounting bracket for them.

Rod also, They have a Cyclops Eye 5-3/4" chrome light for the front of the 700/725/Wards garden mark squire below. It's only 30 watts on both a high and low beam (draws less than a pair of lights-on the 7-7.25 hp stock motor). The larger single 5 3/4" light-lights up the night, and keeps that cool, classic, factory 'cyclops eye' look.

I don't think you could find the exact headlight I have, as I got these in a show a few years ago, and can't remember the brand, but you could make a headlight bar like mine.....I made it from 1/2"conduit, and 2 hangers.. cost almost nothing. It's also very strong and unless you really look close.. you can't tell it is conduit. Dave

I have reproduction headlight bars for the round hood style tractors,(b-10,landlord,101,etc.) For more info you can e-mail or pm me.

does anyone have a link to the picture of the driving lights under the hood on the A/C round hood I couldn't find it?

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
does anyone have a link to the picture of the driving lights under the hood on the A/C round hood I couldn't find it?
http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45967

That's one of the coolest set-ups I've seen! Think the light manu. are listed in the topic discussion-only $18.00?? a pair or something incredible like that, from NAPA or one of the auto parts chains.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by DavidG
I don't think you could find the exact headlight I have, as I got these in a show a few years ago, and can't remember the brand, but you could make a headlight bar like mine.....I made it from 1/2"conduit, and 2 hangers.. cost almost nothing. It's also very strong and unless you really look close.. you can't tell it is conduit. Dave
I have the same pair. Well I used too anyway, till I slid into a tree this past winter and broke one of them.

Andy/Ray - great tips on good replacement lights! I called and you can get the Truck-lite brand at Napa. I was quoted $45 for the 648W light; they also supposedly normally carry those, so I may go and check them out when they have them in stock.