Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs won't start - 11HP

wasmeneh

Well my 4211H had to sit and watch my Cub mow today. Last time a ran it I had to replace the plug and she started right up. This time no fire in the hole. Spark seems weak and intermitant. Bad ground? Ideas? Model # 253707 on the engine... Thanks in advance Mike

I don't believe this Briggs has points, it has the Magnatron ignition. I ran a ground to the Magnatron and still no spark. What other tests can I do.

It could have gone either way, it was offered with both. I have a gut feeling you might have points.

Looked at the parts list, no points shown and I sure can't find any. Strator and Magnatron. Ideas? Mike

Try cleaning the flywheel and coil end that is close to the flywheel.I use a brass brush to clean the dirt and rust off.Then reset the coil and try it again.If it still dont have fire the it may be you coil.I may have a coil laying around will look and let you know.Just a thought Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll give it a try (I may have an extra at another house) I was advised to disconect the kill wire as it may be grounding. Mike

Whoa...before you drop money on a coil and tear her apart, test your ignition switch first. I think the ground wire (the wire that grounds the mag to kill the spark when you shut the key off) is yellow. It will go to the throttle linkage and connect to another black wire that goes to the coil/mag. Sometimes the wire going to the mag rubs against or gets cut by the flywheel, interrupting the circuit. Make sure the connections are clean at the tthrotle linkage too.

Thanks, I did waht Tony said and cleaned the flywheel, I also checked the wire and got a good spark when I disconnected it. Put a new wire on it and she's running again......yipee.... Thanks to all Mike