Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
BigSix

JB Weld Okay for Plastic Gas Tank?

BigSix
Hi all: In the midst of the 1970 Wheel Horse GT-14 fuel flow problems--no update yet, as I'll know more shortly. However, I pulled the tank, to clean it and forestall a third carb cleaning (as I believe I'm looking at a second carb cleaning already, as the pump is pumping all the way to the carb, and it's still running hot and lean, and I discovered schmutz in the float bowl, despite my all new hoses and filter. It's as if "fish eggs" formed in the fuel, in the bowl--never seen it before). I discovered a 2.5" cut or crack, in the large (4-5 gallon?), single-wall, plastic gas tank. This crack does not go all the way through the thin, plastic tank, however, and I'd like to keep it that way--lol. So--can I clean this crack and apply JB Weld to it, or is it likely to melt the tank? There are no external (or internal!) bosses or webbing to try a small amount of JB Weld on as a test, so I just have to apply a small amount and hope for the best, I guess. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this dilemna? Thanks in advance! Peter

HubbardRA
JB Weld will not stay on plastic, since it is made to adhere to metal. I have tried it on plastics several times and it always broke loose from the plastic after some time and flexing. It does not "melt" the plastic, it just eventually pops loose from it. I'd go with the epoxy that Maynard talked about.

SmilinSam
Keep an eye on the crack even if you epoxy it. The Wheel Horse tanks tend to crack along the seams around the center of the tank. I havn't seen too many cracked, but when they do thats usually where.