Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 has a problem

Ryan

It starts up fine and when you give it gas it dies. It almost acts like the fuel pump is out of it. I changed the filter and noticed that the filter does not fill all the way up with fuel while running. All the hoses to the fuel are in good shape. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ryan

Fuel filters can trap air in them. That is normal. If you can flex the lines enough to put the filter outlet directly upward as someone cranks the engine or while the engine is running, you can push the bubble out of the filter. The bubble usually doesn't hurt anything, and will probably eventually purge itself. If I think the fuel pump is a problem, I rig a mount to hold a gas tank of some sort above the hood to allow for gravity feed. Then start the engine and see how it runs and responds as you give it gas. If it runs fine, then the problem is in the fuel pump, lines, tank or gas cap. Just work backward from there and check everything, one piece at at time. I have one Kohler engine that will essentially vapor lock (I guess). I take the fuel line off the carb and hold it straight down toward the ground till I get full flow, then put it back on the carb and it runs fine. I've probably had to do this 6-8 times in the last 10 years. Haven't been able to figure out "why" so that I can fix it.

Thanks for the info Rod. I will try the gravity feed when I go home this weekend. I may end up putting an electric fuel pump on it like D-17 Dave did if the pump is bad.

Ryan, The elec pump is an economical way to get around the dilemma. A few things to consider. The charging systems on these is not one their strong points, an electric pump won't help the situation. If you do go to the electric (I have one on a 620), you might consider removing the pump & putting a plate over it (simple will work - flat stock, couple of holes you GOT IT. There's some 'pretty' ones out there that folks use for Kohler, billet aluminum!). You wouldn't believe how many pump arms I find in the sumps! LASTLY, did you catch the Kohler pump? Yup, a Kohler pump (OR their rebuild kits!) will work on the Onan. I think if you search the archives you find the numbers

Thanks JP, this helps out a bunch. I talked to my brother today and he said he was turning it over and no gas was going into the fuel filter. I will do a search to find part numbers. Thanks again!

Was it a fuel pump problem? If not try new points and condensor. That fixed a similar problem I had where it would idle but not run at speed.