Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front Tires??

bigcountry

My Big Ten has the original front tires on it and within the past 3 days both front tires have gone flat. I know one has a slashed valve stem, but I don't know what is going on with the other, there are no nails or punctures in it. I'm thinking about going ahead and biting the bullet and putting tri rib front tires on to go with the Carlisle Power Tracs on the rear. What size are the front rims and what brand of tri rib would you recommend? I'm gonna try to get the tires on Friday afternoon since it's my last day this semester for college. Thanks.

you might want to check for leaks between the tire and the rim.

Here ya go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=82242&item=4378915823&rd=1

You may want to call and talk to Carl (owner of Rustybore's Tire Shop). I did before I bought my tires. I have the 3.50x8 tires on my tractor. They are a little smaller in diameter than the 4.00s and will be a closer match to the factory size. I think Kent was wanting a larger diameter when he bought 400s. I bought mine from Rustybore's Tire Shop also. As far as I know, there is only one brand of tri-ribs being sold now. I don't remember the name, but I think they are all made in Brazil. If you want to keep those original tires, then just put tubes in them.

I got my tri-ribs from Tucker tire,they came with tubes for about $40. for the pair.I was concerned that replacing the 5.30-4.50-6 with 4.00-6 wouldn't stay beaded but a tip from Rod H. to inflate them to 25 psi would solve that. thay are working out great.now to get Ag's for the rear.

I just paid $42.50 for a pair of 4.00-8 hi-ribs with tubes. This did not included mounting them. There is no name on them.

Cedar rapid tires, tri rib 3.50 - 8 = $16.41 each tri rib, 4.00 - 8 = $19.32 each FWIW

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I think Kent was wanting a larger diameter when he bought 400s.
I actually was looking for 4.00/4.80s, instead of the straight 4.00s. I bought a pair of tri-ribs from Tucker Tire on eBay that were 4.00/4.80 and they're about 1" taller than the regular 4.00s. I wasn't successful in finding another pair. I'd also bought a pair of 4.00/4.80 lug tires from Tucker a few years ago, but ended up buying another pair of 4.00s instead... IMO, unless you're really trying to emphasize the farm tractor look of the rear tires being MUCH bigger than the fronts, I'd go with the 4.00s instead of the 3.50s. The 3.50s are actually shorter than the original knobby turf tires....

Since you already need to tear those wheels down to repair them. You might consider a simple set of tubes as a cheaper solution for flats.

Kent, I have to take exception to the statement that you just made. My 3.50x8 tires "are" larger in diameter than the original tires. When I mounted the first one, I noticed the difference. I think they were about 3/4 inch larger in diameter. They also fit the wheels very nicely. If I get a chance I will try to measure the diameters this weekend. I have a couple of the original knobbys, if I can get one of them to hold air long enough to make a measurement.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Kent, I have to take exception to the statement that you just made. My 3.50x8 tires "are" larger in diameter than the original tires. When I mounted the first one, I noticed the difference. I think they were about 3/4 inch larger in diameter. They also fit the wheels very nicely. If I get a chance I will try to measure the diameters this weekend. I have a couple of the original knobbys, if I can get one of them to hold air long enough to make a measurement.
That's the funny thing about my situation. Both of them held air fine for 2 months and then just start leaking out as fast as I can pump them up.? The edges are worn on them so I'm thinking that I should just get the tri ribs to go with the bar tires I already have on the rear and then throw tubes in them and just go from there, that way I'd be able to mark something else off my list of things to do for the tractor. Besides I'd consider it a gift to the machine for being so good to me.:D

Maybe so, Rod. I've only looked closely at one set of 3.50s mounted, and they were not as tall as the original 4.80x8 tires on the tractor parked beside it. I've never owned any, myself...

• 2 weeks later...
Well I went to the NC Farm Bureau Warehouse in Raleigh where I got the Carlisle Power Tracs for it as well and they had 3.50x8 tri-ribs for $21/ea. and I have decided to get those when I get ahold of some extra $$. I already have the new tubes for it so I'm good to go. I think I can mount these without having to visit a tire shop. My last visit cost me $30 to have the Power Tracs mounted to the rear wheels. The funny thing about it though, is that they still sell the same knobbies that are on the front right now, for more than the tri-ribs sell for.....just an interesting observation...