Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Greased your center PTO lately???

Wishin2BMowin

Got my 3212H from my buddy last fall. Used it plenty this winter to blow the snow. Now it's time to get the 48 inch mower deck on and working. Noticed some play and noise from my center PTO and took it off to check it out. Sure enough my buddy must have never greased it as the thing was bone dry and the bearings are shot! As my luck would have it the PTO shaft was worn out as well. Is this an expensive part? Is there a kit to fix up this PTO or do I have to order the parts separately? Do the bearings have to be pressed in or can I just use a hammer and a block of wood? Also need a new fuel tank cap as mine does not seal well and the gauge is unreadable. Was thinking I would get the tall one that you would use for the winter. Are these available? Where's the best place to get these parts? Thanks for any help...

I think many of the main parts are NLA, but I'm not sure. As for most wear parts, those are normally still available. I too need to learn more about the PTO, while simple if it's not aligned and maintained, they love to eat belts (making operating the tractors MORE EXPENSIVE - I hate spending $22 on a belt just because it was eaten). Certain parts are always missing from these when I get a tractor, so some parts wear out more. I only have one extra PTO right now, if one of my worst tractors goes to parts, then I'll have extra.

Try Sandy Lake, one of the clubs supporters. They have both new and used parts available and are able to help figure out what you need. Dan

The bearings are Torrington needle bearings and can be installed by driving them in IF something is placed on the end of them to drive on. The end with the name stamping is the one that should be driven against. The original bearings were full complement without a seal. I am not sure what Simplicity is selling as a replacement, but ones with a single seal (turned to the outside) are available from Motion Industries or others. I don't remember the shaft size but can look up the bearing size if you let me know that. The original design had the one pulley welded to a hardened shaft.

Rick, I got a new fuel cap/gauge for my Landlord 2110 (should be the same for your 3212H) from Jack's Small Engines last November. It is PN 156175 and was $12.87. Tom(PK)