Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Worst Case scenario??

maxtorman1234

Please tell me this is as bad as it gets. I got this motor from a club member who bought my rebuilt one. This motor was really totaled. It was supposed to have been rebuilt recently, and looks like it too. The piston looks new except for the chunk out of the skirt. I think it was low on oil, and rod not torqued right that caused this. Below the starter was intact when i got the motor, but fell apart when i removed the starter, i guess it wasnt broken right through. Glad I didn't [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0072.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0068.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0071.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0063.jpg[/img] As you can see, the upper balance gear is no longer inline with the other.

Graham, Which way was the connecting rod installed? There is an oil hole to lube connecting rod/crank. Another possibility is snap ring came off balance gear to cause your problem. Maybe you can salvage some parts off the bad motor and find another block.

Well I am still learning about the frame, steering, alignment of lift stuff, and I've not seen the inside of a transmission or engine yet. Thanks for the peak inside. I know my garage (not a shop) is not ready yet. I hope to find a way to get the time to get there though. Sorry to hear about your bummer on the waste of the engine.

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
With all the lakes where you are at, I Think it will make a nice BOAT ANCHOR.
I think too much of the block is missing for it to have any weight:) I have no idea what way the rod was installed, but May be able to peice it back together and find out?. I'll take abetter look tomorrow. I'll bet it was noisy when it let go.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
It's a Kohler, just flush it.lol
Right, because if it was a Briggs, it couldn't have run long enough for this to happen. :D

quote:
Originally posted by papamerkle
Graham, Which way was the connecting rod installed? There is an oil hole to lube connecting rod/crank. Another possibility is snap ring came off balance gear to cause your problem. Maybe you can salvage some parts off the bad motor and find another block.
The snap rings were on the shafts, i'll see if i can figure out what way it was on the crank, I should have another block coming:)

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
LOL I knew if I poked that with a stick I'd get a reaction.
LOL

AS badly as that is broke,it must of been cranking some pretty good RPMs.May be the govenor went haywire.

A little JB Weld and itll be good as new...IMO thats how good the Kohlers are when new anyway...

quote:
Originally posted by AC808
A little JB Weld and itll be good as new...IMO thats how good the Kohlers are when new anyway...

Graham, How fast was motor running when it let go? Looking at your 3rd picture shows very little to no lubrication getting to connecting rod or crank journal. Can you post a better picture of crank journal and what is left of the connecting rod (in pan)?

quote:
Graham, How fast was motor running when it let go? Looking at your 3rd picture shows very little to no lubrication getting to connecting rod or crank journal. Can you post a better picture of crank journal and what is left of the connecting rod (in pan)?
Hey, I know nothing about the engine, except whats in the pictures. It's been sitting for a few years, so the oil most likely settled to the bottom. The nuts are loose on the peices still together, it seems they werent torqued, or came loose when the rod went.
quote:
I can't seem to forget about that 18HP briggs in your 808, That would seem like a typical briggs to me:)

That a nice looking cut away motor you have there, are you planing to have a show and tell on what to do and what not to do when rebuilding motors. From what you said about loose rod bolt my thinking like your that they were'nt torqued in the first place. to bad for a good motor.

No, up there JB weld is only second to duct tape: the handy man's secret weapon! (Maxtor should get that reference!:))

LOL Dave. LOVE that show! I'm considering a satelite dish someday just for the Canadian programming-- The Red Green Show, Trailer Park Boys, SCTV, etc. Don't know why they aren't more popular here in the states. Same goes for the music--Rush, Tragically Hip, The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot...Good stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
LOL Dave. LOVE that show! I'm considering a satelite dish someday just for the Canadian programming-- The Red Green Show, Trailer Park Boys, SCTV, etc. Don't know why they aren't more popular here in the states. Same goes for the music--Rush, Tragically Hip, The Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot...Good stuff.
Canadian programming sucks compared to Direct TV. While we could get it of course:) There's alot more on direct tv, and its easier to use. I really miss it. Expressvu stinks:(

Yep, There are a few good shows, I watch red green whenever i can:) When that engine threw the rod, it even put a dent in the camshaft[:0]