Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Limited slip just slips

Limited slip means that it has a mechanism that limits the amount of slip allowed. On my 7000 series hydrostatic this consists of a hub of gears that allows the axles to slip with respect to each other but if one tire rotates freely then it will do so forever. What you want is "posi-traction" and to my knowledge its not in there. I solved the problem with tire chains which I run all the time. Since the top speed of this tractor is a whopping 7 mph then the chains are just fine. They do little if any damage to the lawn when mowing... Chuck

I have an old Simplicity 6216 that was given to me. I do not know the history of the tractor but after a lot of elbow grease I got the thing running. The decal says “limited slip differential”. The main problem I have with this mower is that it is constantly getting stuck (one wheel spinning) and I have to do “the tractor dance” (lean to one side then the other sometimes getting off and push) to get the thing going. Isn’t a “limited slip differential” supposed to prevent this? What can I do to help my traction without spending a pile of money on my old tired backup mower? Thanks Ed

It sounds like you may have a broken axle tube i had the same problem and sure enough that was what was wrong. I also changed my Limited Slip into a positraction by arranging the gears in the hub. I mow alot of hills and the posi helps alot, and its very handy in the winter when your pushing two to three feet of snow.

I just filled my rear tires with Marine/RV antifreeze this summer. I can't believe what a difference it makes -- it feels like a different tractor all together. It's more stable going around the hillsides and much less spinning (virtually none) going up the hillsides. I can climb banks, mowing and pulling my vac cart, without spinning at all -- that I couldn't even get up before. Should have done this long ago.... And it only cost about $35 (WalMart) and 4 hours time. Would have been even cheaper with windshield washer antifreeze but I couldn't find any in the summer time....