Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Help ID'ing my new Ford Putt-Putt (Kirk??)

rokon2813

The only thing the owner could tell me was that it was originally orange, not yellow. Tag is gone from the seat pan. Kirk, you are the "resident expert" what is it??? Engine is a model 19, not a 19D but supposedly replaced about 20 years ago when the tractor was painted Ford Blue [:0][:0]

Its been sitting outside 3 years unused. Added a battery and gas, and it started right up. :D:D:D The deck was set up from sitting, but after I turned it by hand once, it ran too (loudly though). Throttle and choke cables still work too. 8D8D Kirk, I see where you got the name "Putt Putt". I swear that thing will idle about 250 rpm's [:0]

I'd guese a 700 from the small flat footrest's. I think the biggest diff from the 19 to the 19d is the 19 hada diff piston, rod, and crank on the inside. But visible from the outside it had magnamatic ignition.

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
Oh yea, I forgot....$100 }:)
Are you taking offers?? :) or is it a keeper?

LOL, I dont think so. This one is a keeper I think. I'm still working on a tractor for every attachment :o) this year.

You dont want that blue thing lol, I have 2 to match it. :)I'd like to find one of those to restore, I miss my 725. lol

It looks like a long shaft steering column to me, that would make it a 1963 Model 725. The angled shifter shows this one to be after the 700, which had a straight shifter. The seat is obviously changed so that offers no clues, however the right side choke and oil bath air filter are right for those early Briggs 19 engines. It may be that after 20+ years the engine was swapped from a 19D to a Model 19 from what would have been back then an "old" parts tractor... maybe a 700 or 725. What is the engine Serial No.? I know there is a page linked to date the engines somewhere. It looks like there's a home built bracket with a trailer ball size hitch bolted onto the front axle and another on the rear. The lift lever quadrant looks right and the PTO is not the same as either of my 700 WB's but matches those on the 725's I have. The BGB belt guard on the right fender is also indicative of a 725. The single bar rear lower hitch points would be correct for any of the early tractors. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/model_725.htm

Thanks Kirk, I knew you would have some insight ;) Sorry Dave, I'll have to go with Kirk on this one. B) The guy couldn't find the emblems, said they sat on the shelf so long he probly threw them away. Said there were no numbers on them, just the chrome "Simplicity". He still had the rear lift rod, but said the 2 clevis rod was just too handy to give up. He also said "that danged rear lift thingy with the steel weights sticking 2 feet out the back was just a pain and in the way so I scrapped them years ago" [:0][:0] I'll check the engine numbers sunday, but don't expect much help from those. He thought when they changed the engine, they put a brand new one on, but he wasnt sure. You're right Kirk, those are trailer ball sized hitches, front and rear, but they are welded on :( He has an indoor boat storage and used this for years to back the boats in in the fall and pull them out in spring. Another question, inside the frame, welded to the clutch pedal lever, is a pivoting "shaft" with a long bolt thru it. Looks like you could depress the clutch, and flip it over to lock the pedal down. Is that the "emergency brake" for these early tractors?? Will the 7 hp handle the 42" deck, or will I be wasting my time to get it up and mowing? He thought it did fine on his 3 acre lawn. He also had a brand new Cub Cadet, an older Cub and a Case sitting there, and said this was the best mower he ever owned. :I Is it just a trait of the model 19's or is there a trick to get them to idle so much slower than the 9, 10 and 12 hp's ? I couldnt get the carb adjusted right to "rev up" much past 1/3 throttle, and he said that was the only thing wrong with it, he rebuilt it 4 or 5 times, and tried adjusting it several more times and never could get it right. That was the only reason he quit mowing with it 3 years ago. I'm gonna just swap out the carb with another I have here, that I know is good and see what happens. He also said both the deck and the s/g were completely rebuilt shortly before it was parked, and used very little after. So sunday morning, after a carb swap, oil change, one tire and real good lube job, mama might get a "new" mower for mothers day. }:)}:):D:D

Dan, I noticed the Brockport Ford Tractor decal on your new toy. Did you find it in the Brockport area? Jim.......

Yea Jim, it had a brockport address. just a couple miles north of 104 on 19 ;) I'm only about 15 or so miles west of there.

Hey dan, I just mowed Friday with my B1, with a 7.5hp and a 42inch deck. In second gear I only had the throddle about half way. It mowed great! I wouldn't worrie about it. Elon

Thanks Elon, hopefully we'll find out here in a couple hours. ;)

Dan, that flip-over bolt is the parking brake on these earlier tractors. You adjust the nut to hold the proper length so the brake holds while the bolt is flipped over. My tractors with the Model 19 Briggs never seem to rev that high, but then again I don't push them either....

I'm with daddycat, looks like a 725 to me. The features match my 725 better than my 700. A Model 19 will rev up but you may have to play with the governor and throttle linkage. I did mine some years ago and don't remember the details. Some people really know how to screw up a tractor (painted blue!!!!). Cheers,

Changed my mind, not gonna mow with it. [:0] It does smoke some, so rather than work it too hard, I just put the tiller on the Landlord I got a couple weeks back, tilled the garden, then put the deck on it, and put the cultivators on this one to putt in the garden. the 9 hp landlord did pretty good mowing though the tiller kept it on the governor, but its just not the same as my baby (B12). The low speed pulley for the snowblower isnt anything like the B's hi lo though. The 12 hp finally gave up I think, maybe valves, it starts okay, but doesnt run right and has no power. [:0] I been saying for a year that it needed a rebuild, guess it decided its time. :D So more than likely, the B will get one of the 12's left from the pullers, and the original will get a rebuild this summer. Guess I still have work to do to get to one tractor for each attachment. LOL

That's OK Dan, I was just gueseing. I'd love to find one simular down this way but there are few out here in the country. Probably more 620's than 725's around here. Could the oil bath air cleaner be stopped up and not letting the engine breath when reaving up?

I just noticed that the seat is blue also. Did they paint it when they painted the tractor? Or is it a blue seat.

LOL, The seat is blue, Factory Ford seat. For a larger tractor I think. I will say it is more comfortable than the original pan seats. :D

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
LOL, The seat is blue, Factory Ford seat. For a larger tractor I think. I will say it is more comfortable than the original pan seats. :D
May be more comfortable but a pan seat would really set it off.;)

I would say that you got one heck of a steal deal on that one Dan:D I like the Blue,It looks better than the Red B-112 that is in my barn....:D are you going to leave it that color or go back to orange?

I'd like to say it will be orange again someday ;) But I still havent started my FIRST restoration job, the David Bradley I got 3 years ago [:0][:0] So I guess it will go "in line" behind the rest. LOL Besides, paint wont make it run no better ^ Its still simplicity undernieth