Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering wheel refinishing

toad270

If the rubber is not cracked, then all they need is paint. It is obvious that this one has been painted white. I've seen people paint car steering wheels with the same paint as the car, when they restore vintage machines. I think any good automobile paint would last for many years on a wheel.

I used a product called PC-7 on my Jubilee steering wheel to fix the cracks and missing pieces. I also used my dentists trick when filling teeth by using a small drill and drilling into the steering wheel covering and put a small wire to bridge large gaps to give it something to grab a hold of and keep it in place rather then just sticking to the wheel. It can be shaped and sanded also. I haven't tried painting this one but plan on using Krylon fusion paint for plastic on it.

I used a black rubber type undercoating that comes in a spray can which I think was made by 3M.It takes a while to dry but does a great job.

My steering wheel was pretty badly cracked , but I filled it in with JB Weld and sanded it to shape. I just used off the shelf spray paint as the fusion paint was not yet available. Have since used the fusion paint on other things and it seems to bond very well to plastics,(what it is intended for), but have never tried on hard rubber material like steering wheels. Dave