Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loaned out my tractor

mbrook

Yesterday I watched my new neighbor start to till his garden with an old front tine tiller. After he made a couple of passes, I walked over to see how things were going. I couldn't help from laughing, as he shut it off, because his arms were still trembling. I had offered him my tractor before and reminded him that he could try if he wanted. He said he wanted to try this one a little more. So I said you now were I'm at if you want to use it. I walked back home figuring I'd be seeing him soon. Sure enough about five minutes later he's knocking on my door. I showed him how everything worked and let him use it. I went back in the house and watched from the kitchen as I did the dishes and cleaned up. I couldn't beleive how close of an eye I kept on him, just to make sure something didn't go wrong. When he was finished I walked back over there to see how it went. He said he was quite impressed with how well it worked and my be hooked on getting one. I was quite happy that nothing went wrong. Anybody else loan out there equipment, or do you offer to do the work for them?

Even though my Tractors are not "Show Tractors" I usually don't loan them out I will offer to do the work for them.. That way if something goes wrong I know who to blame... :D

I loaned my tractor to my brother a few weeks ago so I could pick up the leaves in his yard. He has one of the smaller JD lawn tractors and likes to mention that it's only a couple years old. He was impressed enough with how it picked up his leaves that he called a couple buddies over to see it. I didn't worry about keeping an eye on him. I figured if the tractor broke, I'd fix it.

Nope. No loaning, tractors like cars get to know their operators. Operators also get to know the little tricks too. If I break it, I can fix it and I can only blame myself. Example: If you ever try to tilt the blade from the full right or left position back to middle, you might notice it can be quite difficult. The trick I figured out was to drop the blade to the ground and drag it as I try to center it. I am sure there are other tricks out there too.

quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
Even though my Tractors are not "Show Tractors" I usually don't loan them out I will offer to do the work for them.. That way if something goes wrong I know who to blame... :D
That's me...LOL

The only ones I loan are ones that are for sale. I've never had a Simplicity come back yet.

Every time I have loaned out a tractor, it came home broken. Last time, I had to go get it. Nobody has driven any of my Simps and ACs except myself, my wife and my sons. I won't loan any of them out, unless I am doing the driving for them.

Well I do both..................loan and do it for them. All depends on age and mechanical abilities. :D Rob

quote:
Originally posted by snapper1650
quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
That's me...LOL
Same here too.

Kent loaned me his at GOTO to ride in the parade, (see signature photo below) I have loaned out my tractor to the neighbor to cut his lawn since he always loans me his stuff. My brother cuts the lawn here with my tractor sometimes. Last time he used it the cotter pin that holds the rod for the clutch fell out. He didn't know what to do so he just shut the engine off. I guess it all depends who it is.

Haven't loaned any of my tractor out yet. and my wife hasn't been on any of mine either. I did go over to the house next door and cut the grass i bween us. He was trying to cut grass and weeds that were 2 feet high. I felt sorry for him and cut the thing down in about a 1/2 hour. He'ed been out there working for and hour a had a stripe 10'wide and about 75' long done in that time. right tool for the right job. He siad thanks neighgor.

My wife and son both use mine but they do not get loaned out. I till gardens for about 6 or 7 friends each year, but do it myself. Gives us an excuse to visit.

I have one or two trusted friends who I let use my tractors. To me that's no big deal. I know some other's that I won't hardly let sit on my stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by KVANDY12
Haven't loaned any of my tractor out yet. and my wife hasn't been on any of mine either. I did go over to the house next door and cut the grass i bween us. He was trying to cut grass and weeds that were 2 feet high. I felt sorry for him and cut the thing down in about a 1/2 hour. He'ed been out there working for and hour a had a stripe 10'wide and about 75' long done in that time. right tool for the right job. He siad thanks neighgor.
would like to see a new mtd or john deere try to do that without gernading in the same amount of time.

I haven't yet (loaned one) but would to one freind. (I offered it to pull my big roller) he has the JD brand and I told him that my roller would burn up his hydro-drive. The wife was on both of mine this weekend while we were rebuilding the deck and fence in the back yard. Randy

I usually loan myself out with the machines, I think i would be too worried about somthing hard to replace getting broken on a 35yr old machine. I borrowed a BX2300 from a buddy back a month ago and was soo worried about breaking somthing that the job took twice as long LOL

Hi, We loan new and used tractors to potential customers. We drop them off and check back in a day or 2. Usually they get adopted. We feel people are a lot more comfortable if they can use it on their own yard and no one is watching them. They can learn about them at their own pace. We almost insist a person try a zero turn on their own yard if they haven't used one much. We are much better off with a customer sending a unit back than us selling him something and when he gets it home it is not what he expected. It is most important to us that a customer gets exactly what he needs and wants, even if we have to do a couple of demos. These are the people that send their friends and neighbors in. We exist to serve our customers, our customers do not exist for us, They are our reason for survival and this is America and they can spend their money where they want. Al Eden

I would probably never loan a tractor. I have offered to loan a plow to my Uncle but he passed on it. Its not just that I'm concerned about what someone else could do to it but what the tractor could do to someone else. Some of my tractors are not very safe and like Michael says, the operator knows the tractor. There are too many little things only I know about it. Like my allen wrench on the seat which is for retightening the transmission drive pulley which has an endless problem of loosening up, even after buying a new pulley. If that pulley fell off , someone could lose control and get hurt. I also tend to get pretty possesive unless I'm selling something. My B110 is MY tractor. I don't even like when my Dad uses it, though he feels the same about me using HIS craftsman.