Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest Find..a little green for here though

bigcountry

One of the guys at the local drug store bought a new Hustler ZTR and put his 1977 John Deere 300 up for sale. I bought it about an hour ago for 1/2 of what he was asking.:D It smokes pretty bad and uses 20W-50 oil and the K-341 is gonna need a rebuild pretty soon. The deck is rough, but I don't plan to keep it because it will be replaced with a newer 48" deck. The hood is in great shape and the rest of it is in good shape as well. I hope to start the tear down sometime this week. I would really love to have that engine done by the middle of June. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/bigcountry/300-3.JPG[/img] Tried the photo trick listed on the sticky, but didn't have any luck.:(

GOod find, I'd take that engine off your hands:D lol. If you have all the parts, they can be rebuilt quick. It looks like a nice tractor.

Edit your post and make the picture part have this URL: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/bigcountry/300-3.JPG Between the (img)(/img) tags (I used parenthesis instead of brackets). Then you'll have the picture. Your current picture has some junk after the file name "300-3.JPG" and that's causing the problem.
quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
One of the guys at the local drug store bought a new Hustler ZTR and put his 1977 John Deere 300 up for sale. I bought it about an hour ago for 1/2 of what he was asking.:D It smokes pretty bad and uses 20W-50 oil and the K-341 is gonna need a rebuild pretty soon. The deck is rough, but I don't plan to keep it because it will be replaced with a newer 48" deck. The hood is in great shape and the rest of it is in good shape as well. I hope to start the tear down sometime this week. I would really love to have that engine done by the middle of June. [img]/club2/attach/bigcountry/300-3.JPG[/img] Tried the photo trick listed on the sticky, but didn't have any luck.:(

Well I've been running around yesterday and today tracking down parts, prices, machine shops, and supplies. Found some things, but it looks like I may have to extend my search to the next biggest towns for more competitive pricing.

I've got a buddy that'll bore my blocks for free, and I can get valves ground cheap. Parts are found cheap on ebay, If youre there at the right time. I rebuilt a 14 for 100, new piston rings rod,, ground valves, gaskets, ect

I finally got a chance to talk to the machine shop guy today, turns out he builds pulling tractors as well. He said he could machine my block and crank, get genuine Kohler parts, and put it all back together for a little over $400.

quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
I finally got a chance to talk to the machine shop guy today, turns out he builds pulling tractors as well. He said he could machine my block and crank, get genuine Kohler parts, and put it all back together for a little over $400.
Unless it knocks, your crank may not need to be ground. The wear limit is 1.499" It should be ground if less. Personally, I find they're good if within 2 thou, as long as you have a new rod.