Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt squeeling AC 712S

wheelie

Got a 712S this past weekend and its a solid tractor, big 48 inch cut/ plow/ chains,etc.. One question? When I let out the clutch when in gear a belt squeels on the tractor........is this normal? and is there a fix? I've never had a shuttle drive before so any help would be apriciated8)

Could be that the belt has gotten thinner on the sides and slipping in the pulleys, belt guards and belt stops out of adjustment.

Have you tried any sort of belt dressing? Might be the simple thing....

My grandad's 416 used to do this when I used the clutch. Answer, I qiut useing the clutch. When the shifter was placed into neutral on the shuttle, the trans. could be shifted without clutching. Also because of the design of the shuttles, the belt probably gets a little hotter than the other types of trans. so it might cause the belt to sqauk a little more.

My 713S did this when I first put it together from parts. I did not put new belts on it. I used the old ones from the T13 that I took the tranny from. After using it for nearly a year as my primary mower, it has totally stopped squeeling, and the engagement with either the clutch or the lever is much more solid. Guess mine just needed to get scuffed a little after sitting, unused, for several years.