Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17 head vs. KT19

MikeES

Is the volume of the Kohler KT17 head less than the volume of the KT19? I have an M20 (same as a KT19) in our pulling tractor, and we use a 917 for mowing and other chores. I am trying to determine if I could get more compression out of the M20 if I put the KT17 heads on it. I do not want to take a head off from the 917 if I don't have to. So I am checking with this club of ultimate knowledge and wisdom before I start wrenching. Thanks, Mike

I think the only difference between the KT17 and KT19 is the the bore, But im not sure.

I ran a 10 Hp Kohler head on a 14 Hp Kohler engine when we were pulling in stock class. I also shaved it .060. That engine sure ran nice. Head gaskets were the same for 10, 12, and 14, but combustion chambers were different sizes.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I ran a 10 Hp Kohler head on a 14 Hp Kohler engine when we were pulling in stock class. I also shaved it .060. That engine sure ran nice. Head gaskets were the same for 10, 12, and 14, but combustion chambers were different sizes.
I used a 10HP head on a 14, the exhaust valve hit the head[:0]. I'm assuming thats part of the reason it stopped dead at idle. But it did have alot of compression.

Graham, I checked the clearances before I shaved the head. I still had .035 clearance after removing the .060. I wouldn't try the swap without measuring first.

I know the volume is less with the Kohler 10hp head (shorter stroke) than the 12 or 14hp. Thats why the pullers use the 10hp on the 14hp engine. I was wondering if the same is true with the KT17 vs KT19. They both have the same bore but the KT19 has a longer stroke. They both have the same bolt pattern to the head (same head gasket). Does anyone have access to part # for the KT17 head and KT19 head? If they have a different part # they may have different machining in the head. I just want to avoid tearing 2 engines down if someone already has the knowledge. Mike S.

?)I looked on Kohlers parts database a found this. The KT17 used in Simplicity tractors used a head with a part# 5201505 which is replaced by part# 5201506. The KT19 used in Simplicity tractors used a head part# 5201507 which is replaced by part# 5275578. Assuming Kohler did not make various compression ratios on different spec numbered engines I would say yes , the KT19 uses a different head than the KT17. I also checked what heads were used on the Magnum engines, Magnum18 uses 5201508-s and the Magnum20 uses 5275578-s (similar to the KT19?) Dan

Thanks, Dan this helps make a decision for me. I will pull heads on our KT17 and on our pulling tractor M20 and see what the difference is. I will swap them if there is a difference. I will let everyone know what I found and how it performs. Dan, where did you get info on Kohler data base of parts? Thanks.

Mike, You can find the information here: http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp Enter as a guest.