Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16HP

maxtorman1234

I can get a 16HP single cast iron briggs engine, I've heard theyre so good, but what's a good price to pay for them? Also, what series should the # be for it to be a 16? I might try one out, Thanks,

A 16 B/S should hold at least 100.00 if it's complete. The same thing to judge any engine applies. How well does it run? Smoke? Crank? Type of chargeing and starting. If it's not had gas sitting in the carb. and ruined it, then you should be able to put it right to work. Be carefull though. Those Briggs might grow on you.

Thanks Dave, I'll have to give him a call and see what hes asking and how it runs. I havent paid much attention to briggs parts, WIll it cost an arm and leg if it needs rebuilt? I passed on one last year for $250. THis one has no S/G, but cant seee much in the picture. Thakns,

Most parts are common in aftermarket lines I think. I haven't had to buy any rebiuld stuff for my Briggs since I restored my 212 a couple years ago and used all Briggs stuff. Got out for under 50.00 but didn't bore it. It didn't need it. Just took a set of rings.

The Briggs 16 HP single cylinder cast iron model number is 32643x where the "x" is usually a "1" on the older "rope starter" engines (fitted with S/G unit). The newer engine with gear tooth starter and altenator has a different digit.

for my Model 19 in my 725, that I'm repainting, I just got a ring set for $22 and a seal kit for $15, and the front and rear seals were like $5 or so. Not too bad. I had to order them but got them in a week! Elon

I paid 400.00 fer one to be deliverd and i could have bought one locally for 500. I must be simple, to spend so much. Both were old cast iron.

Parts prices depend on what you need. A piston with rings is about $100 through briggs and not all sizes are avaiable through aftermarket, I think briggs pistons from prime line are about $80. Also to run on a tractor originaly equipped with a kohler you'll need a different voltage regulator and ign. switch. As for power, if the engine is in good shape it should have lots of power. Any of the 32 ci. motors put out a lot of power. My 14hp briggs on my Sears Suburban has tons of power, makes the 10hp seem like nothing.

Well, THe guy wants $460, but will be $500 by the time we pick it up. I dont really want to spend that much, but might if its really worth it.

Sounds like a lot to me. Unless it was just rebuilt 100% correctly, or is a like-new engine.

Thanks, Thats what I thought too. Guess i'll keep looking until one comes up cheap.

I bought 1 off of E-bay that was in a AC tractor that you could hear it run if you went by his place. complete motor with starter gem. Paid $268.00 delivered to my business. It was buy it now and he would pay shiping. He ship it but did'nt send the s/g, still don't have it and never will. every day I learn that more and more people can't bhe trusted !!!! His loss not mine. Ken

I just got a beauty of a 16 hp briggs off Ebay.It needed a carb but the guy said it ran good on propane.I had an extra carb,put it on and the engine runs like new.No smoke and smooth.Not many bid on it because of the carb its about $153.00 if you needed one .I paid for the engine $240.00 with the shipping.These engines are indestructible!No matter how old they are when you see them on ebay they are always in good running condition without a rebuild.Two of my three 900 series tractors came with Kohlers,I remove the Kohlers and put the 16 hp Briggs in their place.The only thing wrong with these engines are the carbs are going to drip no matter what you do.One last thought a short block 16 hp Briggs is $900.00 stripped.So how much is a complete good running one worth?????