Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor wants to die

kook

I just came in from mowing with my 7016. Been running fine, but after it was good and warmed up, it would intermittently start spitting and sputtering until I put it in neutral. Then would run fine. Away I go and after about 20 or 30 seconds, it'll do it again. Seems to do it mostly under load. I shut it off, let it cool down, then it ran fine until it warmed up, and does it again. 16hp Briggs was overhauled this past winter. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you use it over the winter? If it sat, I'd check the carb for scaling/rust. Also make sure you don't have a mouse nest under your flywheel cover, causing the engine to overheat. I'd start with the carb (actually, start with the fuel tank cap and make sure it's venting okay, then the filter). Sounds like it's starving, especially when it needs more gas under load.

Carb was rebuilt when the engine was overhauled. It has electronic ignition, so there is no condenser. Do you think the carb needs re-adjustment?

If it is not the carb and since there are not points and condenser, I would check the valve clearance. My Dad had a tractor engine rebuilt and it would do the same thing. It had too little clearance in the exhaust valve. Since then I have fixed two other engines with the same problem. When an engine warms up, the valves (especially the exhaust) get hot and expand, making the main shaft of the valve get longer. Without sufficient clearance the valve can grow till it stops sealing off the flow, then the engine will not run. When it cools off, it will seat again and the engine will run. This is why exhaust valves usually need around .015 to .020 clearance, while the intake is usually less than .010.

I had the same prob last summer w/my 7014S. Here is my thread from back then... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=35946

So what did the problem wind up being, bsggsb? Stuck valve? fuel? The post leaves us hanging!:o)

It sounds fuel starved.My 916 was doing that.With a full tank it ran fine but would act up as it got low.There was strainer in the bottom of the gas tank.The longer it ran it would clog and restrict.When you let it sit for a few minutes the fuel bowl is filling up slowly.The starts and runs perfect and then the problem reoccurs again.

Tried everything but the coil....Has to be the coil. I haven't fixed it yet since it was winter and it runs fine in cool weather. It also runs fine w/o hood. I'll let you know soon though.