Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Building a leaf/grass collector system

JDreher

I would like to build a leaf/grass collector system for my '95 Sunstar with a 48" deck since I have been unable to find a Simplicity unit for sale. I understand that a blower (or turbo as Simplicity called them) is required to move the discharge into the collector box. Any suggestions on building this unit? Has anybody used an aftermarket collector on their tractor? The service that mows the lawn at my work place has a PeCo dump collector with a separate engine to drive the blower. Thanks, John

The units are occasionaly available on ebay, sometimes just the turbo, sometimes the complete unit. Usually see them in the fall. You can get them new, but they're not cheap. The widebody cart is #1691526 for both the sunstar and sovereign. The turbo unit for the sovereign is #1692257, I'm not sure if it's the same for a sunstar.

I put a turbo collector from a 48" deck on a sunstar on my soverign. The turbos are virtually identical. There is a small difference in the mounting brackets. The sunstars use a different deck height adjuster than the soverigns.

I built a blower and collector box for my Craftsman some years ago. I use it all the time In my mowing busisnes. Of all the many things wrong with the Crasftsman it dose have a good lift to the deck and it will throw the grass very far on its own. So I have my blower mounted at the rear of the mower. Its a Simpicity blower with a 5hp mounted below it, See pics in my profile. A big hassel is the piping, its a 7" in and a 6" out. I used furnes duck from the beck to the blower, and flex drain pipe from the blower to the box.I spent a lot of time on the box to hold a large load and strong enough to hold up over the years of abuse. Like the time i forgot it was behind me i smacked a power pole as i turned into it and allmost through me out of my seat but did not faze the blower box. Allso i lined the inside with a heavy pool liner so if the grass sits in the box for any anount of time it wont rot out the wood, and it will slide out easy.