Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
john-holcomb

Warning carberator cleaner

john-holcomb
:(Last saturday I bought some carb cleaner that you dip the carb in to clean it. I read the label and opened the doors to the shop and dropped the parts of the 1650 oliver carb in. I must of been a little sheltered from the flow of air where I had the can behind the oliver because after I took the parts out, washed them and started to clean them I felt kind of funny. I went outside and sat down for about 5 minutes and then went back to try and put the carb togrther, I couldn't seem to get the screw driver to go where I wanted it to, so I staggered to the deck to sit down. When Roxann came out she asked what was wrong and I said I felt sick from the cleaner. She tried to take my smelly shirt off and I fell over in the chair and couldn't control my arms or legs. She and our boy Sheriff got me in the car and headed for the hosp. on the way I felt like I wanted to throw up, my vision blurred and then everything went white and soon after passed out. At the emergengy room my blood pressure [normally a litte high] was 60 over 40 and almost no pulse. after 3 hours I was fine. Please use caution I read the instructions, was in a well vetilated area, and still almost bought the farm. Please everyone use CAUTION.:(

D-17_Dave
That stuff's no picknick. It'll eat the hide right off of you too. It's good stuff but like you found out, pretty toxic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. BTW, the coffe shop or shop talk is probably a better place for this thread.

GWGAllisfan
Most of these Dip type carb cleaners use methylene chloride for the solvent. Too much can cause a strong anesthetic effect. It also sensitizes the heart to adrenaline. They work, but they are dangerous to use. Most of them have a water seal layer to stop the evapouration. Glad you were OK

Simplicity314
Okay, I'll just put that one on the 'outside job' list. Glad you pulled through. Don't think it was the ventilation--If so, I would think the gasoline would make you woozy too. Must be something pretty potent in the cleaner. I had a painful experience w/ the spray carb cleaner when some splashed backwards me and hit my eye. Not as bad as your experience, but it's easy to overlook things like that. I wear safety goggles when it seems reasonable to do so. Funny, you never think of a $4 can of solvent like you would a power tool as far as danger factors, but it can be just as or more dangerous when you think about it.

Jovee
Glad you are ok John and thanks for the warning. I have recently been on the hunt for the 'good' submersible stuff because I go thru the spray type stuff too fast but I would rather keep doing that now than put anyone here in danger. Many years ago my father would take my carbs to the bus repair garage where he worked and sink them in it. A few times I could swear he switched them because it worked so good but I never knew how unsafe it was. Thanks again and take care! -Joe

gwiseman
After a bee sting in '91, while mending fence, I made it to the house but dropped on the grass in the front yard - couldn't talk, control muscles, or move. bp was 60/40 when ambulance arrived. Glad we're both here to talk about it now and especially glad both your and my family were there to assist! Here's to your health!

KVANDY12
An other close call, glad you are ok. I use to sell those chemical to industry. Fella any solvent for safty reason shoud be used outdoors. MEK, MC etc. Watch out it'll get you.