Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Do You Think About This Possible Deal?

rs07

Well, I called my local Simplicity dealer today, whom I have done business with for years. Last August I purchased a brand new Simplicity Conquest 18HP and 50" mower. Also bought a 42" snowthrower with it. I'd like to just add that I am very happy with this tractor too, but after looking the Simplicity Legacy XL over and over again and wanting to go to a larger tractor, I called the dealer today to talk to him about trading the Conquest with the snowthrower in on a Legacy XL (Diesel, 4WD, 60" mower deck, and standard Category "1" 3 pt. hitch with 540 RPM Rear PTO). I told him that I'd like to just buy the tractor and mower for now and buy a snowthrower for it in the fall. He worked some numbers and came up with this offer. My trade and $6,500. What do you think. Is that a fair deal? I'd like to get some opinions before I decide. I really want this tractor though.:)

What is he giving you for your tractor? Could you get more for it by selling it outright? Most of all is it a deal you are comfortable with? If you are happy with it, it's a good deal for you. (not much help huh?)

According to the Simplicity site, list price on that tractor is $11,250 without the 60" mower deck (as I read the specs), but including the 3-pt and rear PTO. Sounds like he's giving you a bit better than list on the deal -- but is it good enough to satisfy you?

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
According to the Simplicity site, list price on that tractor is $11,250 without the 60" mower deck (as I read the specs), but including the 3-pt and rear PTO. Sounds like he's giving you a bit better than list on the deal -- but is it good enough to satisfy you?
I think it's a good deal. I just wanted to get some opinions from some of you on this.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
See if they have a hitch to run your snowblower and keep it.
I'm going from belt-driven to all shaft driven attachments, so I would have to buy the snowthrower for the Legacy XL.

I don't want to sound negative, so don't take it that way. I asked Simplicity how they determind the horse power rating on the Legacy XL. They told me it was Briggs and Stratton that provided those numbers for them. I contacted Briggs and Srtatton to ask how they determined what horse power the Diahatsu DM 950 D that is sold in in the Legacy xl. They told me they would need the numbers off of the engine where they are stamped in the metal. Now thats a trick if you don't have one to peek at. Also i asked for a video that shows what the Legacy XL can do. They are sending it. I really want to know if this Legacy could out pull a 9020. My wife would hang me if i paid $10,000 hard earned ones for a nice lawn mower. While the 9020 is an old machine. The real value is how long the equipment will last before you have to replace it. I have researched the Consumer reports and the bad news is those fellas don't know that simplicity makes a better machine and could care less because he is promoting the big box brands. www.consumerreports.com. We need to innundate him with questions with regard to his suggestions. Yardman is the best economical unit Cub Cadet is pictured as a representitive. Big box throw aways. Taking your unit to be worked on to home depot or W***M***. How in the world does Consumer reports expect to be reasonably valued?

I would say you are getting a good deal on the tractor and mower deck.I have had my AGCO2027 Diesel for over a month now and love it.I wouldnt trade that tractor for nothing.I have a video of the LegacyXL and find it very nice to have as a reference when i want to know how to do something that i forgot.I also have the 75th Anniversary parade that i got in the mail the other day.Buy the LegacyXL and you will be happy.For $6500.00 you cant go wrong.Everybody wants to compare old to new .The old 620 is ok but for me to have a Diesel that has more hp, 27 to be exact i wouldnt trade the AGCO 2027 Diesel for nothing because with the added power i can do anything i need to do.The mower deck is so easy to take on and off.The loader is just as easy.The ? for most is to justify spending the money on something so nice.It was no choice for me.I needed the tractor with 4 wheel drive to mow and the loader to plow snow in winter and to move dirt and mulch in the summer.The amount of money people want for a nice 30 yr old 620 or 720 with loader was the deciding factor for me.For $5000.00 to $6000.00 for a nice restored tractor with loader i could add another $3000.00 to that and have a AGCO2027 Diesel.I am glad i did.I hear what those 30 yr old tractors can do and to be honest about it ,i am glad i bought new.I have a 2 yr warranty at a dealer that will make my tractor right.$4000.00 trade is better than you will get from anybody on the street for your tractor.People think alot that the dealers wont give you what you need to trade.If they want to make a sale and have your repeat bussines they will work with you.Buy,Buy, is all i can say.You wont be sorry you did.

I just put a deposit on a Massey 1433 with 66" loader and 7 1/2 foot back hoe. 33 horse 16 speed shuttle. Use ones were too high so I bit the bullet.

I figure after I put the diesel in my 620 that if I allowed a couple hundred for labor that I'd have about 3000.00 in my tractor after power steering and all the incidentals that it took to install the engine. Plus the going rate for attachments. This also include the upgrades on the current CCKB in it now. I don't have anything to trade in si I'd be buying outright if I invested in a Legacy. The only thing it'll have when I'm done is 4-wheel drive and locking diff. I'm not regreting my investment by no means and should have one tough tractor, I hope. But I don't think you could go wrong with the deal. If I could do the type of convertion stuff like I'm into I'd jump on that.

Thanks to you all for your input. I called the dealer today and told him I'll definitely buy the tractor. He has one sitting in a crate right now. I'll probably get it sometime next week. When I do I'll definitely take pics of it to share with you all.

That cons. rep. paper I wish was SOFTER,,so I could use it for wipers,thing is it wont desolve in the septic!lol,,but seriously,Everything in there is paid for by the manufaturers naive public falls for it every time,esp lawn/garden/tool stuff,and I know part of their report stresses a good price,like I said its a box store world get used to it,,

Glad you are buying the new Legacy XL. They are a very nice unit to have.They are a workhorse in my oppion.I am not saying the older models arent ok.For me buying a new tractor was the way to go.I just need to buy some weights for my weightbox and i will be set.I am buying the armrest and rear worklight before winter.Please post pictures of your new toy.There are a few of us with they now.

Well, now I think I'm going to have to hold off on purchasing the Legacy XL at least for this year. The tranny went on my pickup yesterday and I need to have it rebuilt. This is going to set me back alittle. I'll keep my Conquest for another year. It's a nice tractor anyways. Unfortunately, if I decide to go for the Legacy XL again next year, I don't think I will be getting the same deal. Maybe I'll end up selling the Conquest out right next year, instead of trading it in. We'll see!:)

To bad about the tranny Robert. But maybe a power was telling you it's not the right time for a new tractor, when you have one that will work nicely. I find wants are one thing, needs are quit different. Hope everyuthing works out with the tranny. Ken