Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 14 vs Briggs 16

MarkM1958

Does anyone know off the top of their head what is the main differences are between the syncro balanced Briggs 14 compared to the 16? I'm having trouble finding rebuild kits for the 14. Do they take the same kits? Is it just a jetting difference?

Well according to my book that I got from my parts supplier and my Briggs parts manuals the pistons, valves and connecting rods are the same for each. It maybe a difference in camshafts or jetting. I went to Jacks website and checked the camshaft numbers and the 14hp number is superceed to the 16hp number, so it must be a jetting issue.

I was told by a local small engine repair shop that the only difference is a small stop bolted to the carb to prevent it from opening the butterfly all the way and maybe the rpms it was rated at. I have never seen one of these stops to verify it though! Dan

I have a 14hp synchro-balanced on a Sears Suburban. It is different from the 16 in several ways. It has the balancers both on flywheel and pto side, just like on the 12hp motors such as on my B12. Also the 14 has a different cylinder head from the 16hp. The 16 head has 3 or 4 short bolts while the 14 has all long bolts. Now for the similarities: Both motors have 32ci displacement. The cylinder bore is the same. Pistons are the same. As for Dan's suggestion, there is not one of those stops on this 14 nor any CI briggs I've had.

This an interesting topic.These small engines are called by their horsepower rating instead of their displacement.For example Chevy's 327 enginethat was made from 1962-1969 had a horsepower rating that went from 195-375 depending on induction,cam ,valves and pistons.However,the S.A.E. taxable horsepower(what is actually supplied to the rear wheels) varied very little.I would be willing to bet if you dyno tested a 14,15 or 16 hp briggs the output would be the same or barely measurable.