Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
bkassulke

Clean Gas Tank

bkassulke
What can you use to clean the inside of a gas tank? I have a tank with rust chips onthe inside and I want to clean it out. Thanks for you help, Benjamin Kassulke

Brent_Baumer
If you have 2 tractors you can use one to clean the other, so I have read on here. Remove rusty tank and put a handfull of nuts in it. Strap it to one of the rear tires on the other tractor and drive it around for awhile. Supposedly works great but I have never tried it. Brent

Korman01
I just had the same problem with my old tractor I'm fixing up. I removed the tank, then rinsed it out with gas. then I rinsed with a rust remover like WD-40 shaking it real good. then I rinsed with gas again. I dont know if its the right way, but it seemed to do the trick for me. Mike

dirtsaver
Ben I usually use some clean rocks or 5/16" nuts. Put a half dozen in along with a small amount of kerosene or cleaning solvent(with a high flash point),cap off the tank and plug the outlet. Then shake the dickens out of it for five to ten minutes. Pour it out,rinse and repeat until you get a clean tank. It's a lot of work but compared to constantly cleaning a carb(don't ask how I know...lol)it saves a lot of trouble in the long run.