Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clean Gas Tank

bkassulke

What can you use to clean the inside of a gas tank? I have a tank with rust chips onthe inside and I want to clean it out. Thanks for you help, Benjamin Kassulke

If you have 2 tractors you can use one to clean the other, so I have read on here. Remove rusty tank and put a handfull of nuts in it. Strap it to one of the rear tires on the other tractor and drive it around for awhile. Supposedly works great but I have never tried it. Brent

I just had the same problem with my old tractor I'm fixing up. I removed the tank, then rinsed it out with gas. then I rinsed with a rust remover like WD-40 shaking it real good. then I rinsed with gas again. I dont know if its the right way, but it seemed to do the trick for me. Mike

Ben I usually use some clean rocks or 5/16" nuts. Put a half dozen in along with a small amount of kerosene or cleaning solvent(with a high flash point),cap off the tank and plug the outlet. Then shake the dickens out of it for five to ten minutes. Pour it out,rinse and repeat until you get a clean tank. It's a lot of work but compared to constantly cleaning a carb(don't ask how I know...lol)it saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

I have done it the same way as Larry(aka dirtsaver) has and had good luck with it.It cleans the tank up pretty good.Just my 2 cents Tony