Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Drawbar test on 9020?

Leroy

I was attempting to evaluate the strength of the new Legacy XL with that of the 9020. For the Legacy XL Drawbar is rated for 1,111 lbs (504kg) Axle has an output torque rating of 1,200 ft-lbs (166 kg-m) This info came from Simplicity. 9020 Drawbar???? Axel has output torque rateing??? Perhaps i could get the info from Simplicity, but i was hopeing someone here would have the info and we who are interested, can enjoy the results.

Certainly the test has been done. I'm waiting for Simplicitys reply to the same question.

I know with the 1/4 scale tractor we are building, we're shooting for 3500lbs. drawbar pull, however last year the team was only able to achieve 1800. We are trying to get that kind of pull out of a 10 yr. old 16hp Briggs Vanguard.

The Simplicity technical publications require a model number or more to get the data and i dont have that.

Hi, Would somebody please explain drawbar power. I believe it to be an actual power rating much the same as rear wheel horsepower on a car right? What would 1111 lbs. be in horsepower? If that rating is for an xl, a 20hp legacy might be???? Thanks. Ron

quote:
Originally posted by RonRobinson
Hi, Would somebody please explain drawbar power. I believe it to be an actual power rating much the same as rear wheel horsepower on a car right? What would 1111 lbs. be in horsepower? If that rating is for an xl, a 20hp legacy might be???? Thanks. Ron
If my suppossition is correct. They put a tow bar attached to a load pan on the back of the tractor and essentially load it as it is moving forward. The load value is that where the traction starts breaking ground and digging a hole. The legacy at 20 HP may be a smaller unit and i have not requestion the drawbar rating for it. You could send email to Simplicity and ask them yourself and share here. As I have done. The legacy XL is said to be 27 horse. Gas or diesel. The diesle has a brother who is turboed but it is not an option for the Legacy XL. I dunno why, I can only speculate and that may not be fair.

Question?? If thats the way the test is run, wouldn't the transmission --but certainly the sizing of the wheels make a difference? If that's so then I would think that the legacy would have a problem compared to the larger heavy rears on the powermax. What about the hydro torque as well?

quote:
Originally posted by DaveL
Question?? If thats the way the test is run, wouldn't the transmission --but certainly the sizing of the wheels make a difference? If that's so then I would think that the legacy would have a problem compared to the larger heavy rears on the powermax. What about the hydro torque as well?
Bigger tires equal a bigger load on the transmission. But the weight on the machine and the tires ablility to maintain traction are more of a factor. If the tires slow the machine down because they are too heavy the load on the drawbar will represent what the strength would be with that size tire. It's not a win loose kind of test. The University of Nebraska take all the factors in including the transmission the gearing or hydro, the type of gas, the Spark plugs and the amount of air in the tires. Everything matters.