Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine spits out fire

Chris727

Hi. I have a Tecumseh OH180, cast iron 18 hp overhead valve, on my Sears GT18. I recently aquired the tractor from a savlage yard. It starts fine. Runs smooth. Little if any smoke but its shooting lots of little embers out of the muffler, drove it at night and it was very noticeable, muffler had a blue-red glow coming from it. I doubt its safe to use around anything flamable or in really dry conditions. Could it be a carbon build up under the head? This is my first OHV engine. Anyone have any tips? Thanks. Chris

Most short mufflers glow in dark.Those embers coming out are tiny rust fragments in the exhaust.

It has a nearly new muffler, but it is just a regular round briggs style muffler and its only got about 3" of pipe between the engine and muffler.

I Would Agree With Pat As Well It Could Also Be Carbon Particles From The Combustion Chamber Also.

I drove it around today and its not noticeable during the day. I may have to pull the head and clean it out eventually. I know my B110 doesn't do that.