Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kawasaki repower?

a-cman

I recently noticed that Small Engine Warehouse is now offering a 21hp Kawasaki repower kit for the 7117,7119,917,& 919 tractors. I was interested if anyone here was involved in testing this match-up. I know that they usually look for someone with a donor tractor to test the repower match-ups, I would like to find out if it is a decent engine for these machines because the prices seem very resonable.

I have been thinking about do this my self this winter. The Kawasaki engines are a very good engine. A couple of years ago when I was going to make a commercial business out of mowing I was looking at ZTR mowers and the majority of the top of the line mowers use the kawasaki over the kohler engines. If they are using them more in the commercial mowers than the other types of engines that are out there that should tell you something. I like my cast iron briggs engines, but you are not going to see to many Briggs Vanguard engines in commercial mowers. If I had the money and time now I wouldn`t hesitate to put the kawasaki in my 917H.

Ben I am not sure what it entails to do that swap over as far as parts and mods, but you may also wanto check out Al edens repower engineering, he is also a supporter and helped me out a great deal when i did my sovereign repower. Not to sound like a salesperson for AL but even if his prices are slightly more (if they are at all) you will get that back 5times over in the help you will get if you need it. Now if it is a somple bolt on repower than go with the cheapest price, but if it is an involved swap Al's kits include everything including some fine directions. I am sure some other guys can chime in, As far as the kawi engines go, I see them on alot of commercial walk-behinds and they seem to work good, However my buddy runs a business maintains his equipment well, and nearly every Kawi powerd walk behind has needed a valve-job after a few seasons, the tech said it is a common problem????

I read on there site (Sall Engine Warehouse) somewhere what is included in the kit it is there somewhere. But it was a drop in with everything included to do the installation.

quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
Ben I am not sure what it entails to do that swap over as far as parts and mods, but you may also wanto check out Al edens repower engineering, he is also a supporter and helped me out a great deal when i did my sovereign repower. Not to sound like a salesperson for AL but even if his prices are slightly more (if they are at all) you will get that back 5times over in the help you will get if you need it. Now if it is a simple bolt on repower than go with the cheapest price, but if it is an involved swap Al's kits include everything including some fine directions. I am sure some other guys can chime in, As far as the kawi engines go, I see them on alot of commercial walk-behinds and they seem to work good, However my buddy runs a business maintains his equipment well, and nearly every Kawi powerd walk behind has needed a valve-job after a few seasons, the tech said it is a common problem????

Ben I have to agree with John(roma3112). I see several commercial Kawasaki powered units come in to the shop and they never get the lifetime from them you do from a Briggs or a Kohler. Valve jobs are a major part of the problem but from what I've seen the Kaw engines are constantly needing repairs or adjustment. My three cents is to run...not walk away from anything Kawasaki.