Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MTD Engine:will it fit?

GWGAllisfan

I have an opportunity to buy a 16 hp briggs from an older MTD. It appears to have a shaft that extends through the flywheel end. Does anyone have any experience adapting this to a b-10 or 101? model number is Model: 326431 Type: 0139-01 Code: 7304031 It seems 16 HP k341 kohler are still out there new. Are these hard to adapt to the early tractors?

The Briggs should fit, with at most, the need to change the oil pan on it -- perhaps to turn it around so it drains on the correct side. I can't help with the Kohlers since I have no personal experience with them, but lots of people have put them in the oldies...

You will have to find a new starter generator pulley for the flywheel. The shaft on the flywheel on the MTD screws on in place of the flywheel nut and the Gen pulley is drilled out for the shaft size. If you remove the shaft and put on a regular flywheel nut the pulley will not be able to be centered on the standard shaft stub as the hole in the pulley will be too big.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
You will have to find a new starter generator pulley for the flywheel. The shaft on the flywheel on the MTD screws on in place of the flywheel nut and the Gen pulley is drilled out for the shaft size. If you remove the shaft and put on a regular flywheel nut the pulley will not be able to be centered on the standard shaft stub as the hole in the pulley will be too big.
Sounds like first-hand experience to me! I didn't realize that!

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Sounds like first-hand experience to me! I didn't realize that!
I've still got an MTD shaft and pulley. Would like to run across another Case Tractor with a junk engine to see if this setup could be cobbled into one of those...????

So I would just need to buy a new pulley and bolt it on?,remove the shaft adapter, put on a regular flywheel nut and it should work? Not a completely new flywheel, right?

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
So I would just need to buy a new pulley and bolt it on?,remove the shaft adapter, put on a regular flywheel nut and it should work? Not a completely new flywheel, right?
Yep. Just the flywheel nut and aluminum pulley. If you still have the engine out of your Simplicity/AC use the parts off it. Like Kent said, you may have to get a gasket and turn you pan for the drain to be where its supposed to be. Cant remember which side they put them on the MTD's.