Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Bruker

Success with JB Weld?

Bruker
Has anyone here ever had success using JB Weld? I'm going to attempt to use it to repair some worn parts in the hydrostatic transmission on my 16GTH. I'll be attempting to bond it to steel and aluminum parts that are in constant contact with oil.

JJ MARSHALL
BRUKER the cleaner the better. i've used it on thing like A/C gas tank a VW RABBIT engine block that was crack when trying to replace a freeze plug and other stuff. JJ

goatfarmer
I've never had any luck with JB Weld.Tried it on many repairs,tried scuffing the areas,clamping items together,leaving it sit several days,etc.Never held up.

Leroy
quote:
Originally posted by Bruker
Has anyone here ever had success using JB Weld? I'm going to attempt to use it to repair some worn parts in the hydrostatic transmission on my 16GTH. I'll be attempting to bond it to steel and aluminum parts that are in constant contact with oil.
I have a 1974 dodge van. I found another Van but it was a 73 in the Junk yard. The guy sold me the entire van for 250. and i drove it home. He said the problem was it was starting to get hot and the owner didn't want to deal with it. I had to stop fer a water fill up twice in 10 miles. But i got it home and found the entire driver side of the engine was bowed out and wet like a sponge. The block was oozing water from the side of the engine. I used a steel brush and cleaned the side so it looked new. Then i butterd the side with a thin coat of JB Weld and allowed it to set. the next day i applied another layer 90 degrees from the last and let that set the next day i did the same. this time i warmed the engine up and then let it set. one week later i put more water in it without a radiator cap installed and Started the engine. It got good and warm. Then i shut it down and let it set over night. the next day i checked for seepage. O moisture found I put the cap on it and got it warm again this time useing the heater to determine the level of temp. no problem found on water leakage. I would occaisionally check for water and found nothing. A mission worker came to my house and asked if i would be willing to sell the van. I told him of the issue and sold it for what i bought it for. Thinking that he would maybe not get much time in it before having to replace the engine. He said he has newspapers to deliver and if it dies he will get another one. He drove that van for 5 years delivering news papers never having a problem with over heating. They sold the van after that because the transmission had worn out.

BigSix
I patched a hole in the oil pan on a 1975 Chevy C10 van. It has the 250 inline in it. I only patched it from the outside, without removing it. It had pinholes that may have broken out into larger holes. I believe I used like 1/4" mesh screen, to reinforce it. I cleaned it by hand, and probably used sandpaper and lacquer thinner, in that order. Lacquer thinner, or something similar, to remove all oils, including those from your hands, is very important. It's starting to seep a little now, and it appears to be lifting around the edges. That was over 20 years ago. And the van has sat outside for over 10 of those years. I suppose, evetually, I'll have to redo it. Peter

Jovee
Ive had great success with it with every mechanical application Ive used it on. It did not work, however, on a plastic pressure fitting on my garden hose reel. I use it with great results on connecting frame extensions in diecast modeling projects. Nothing else holds the potmetal together -