Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler engine replacement

WiscTom

Which Kohler engines are a direct replacement for the K321 in the Simplicity 7114? The one here, just blew up, in a relaxed, but most unpleasant fashion.

Any of the K series K241 and up should work but may be under powered. See the other recent post about the Kawasaki's from Small Engine Warehouse and Al Eden's replacement engine kits. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48733 I think the KT17's and 19's plus the Commands and Magnums are pretty easy swaps too. Brent

I have a fresh rebuilt (K321)14HP I will sell. Has plenty of power. Rebuilt right and runs excellent. Is not underpowered at all. Now the 16HP (k341) has plenty of power to spare. Alot more expensive though. Anyways, If it were me. i'd throw a good kohler back in and get 20+ more years of use. The k241's through k341's will fit, and so will the k361.

I am with maxtorman. Put another Kohler in and know you will get 20+ years. I needed to repair or replace a K301 in my AC712. Thought about a rebuild job but found with parts and the tools I did not have and would have to buy to do the rebuild made it expensive. I found a good K341 mounted on a start all unit on eBay. Paid $350 for the works delivered to my garage. If you are not in a hurry, you can find an engine. Good Luck and let us knnow what you do with pics if appropriate. Dan

A direct replacement would be another K321. If you're looking for something new I think Tulsa engine warehouse has some new ones, maybe small engine wharehouse too. Though they are pretty $$$, Look around, they're out there. The cast iron Kohler magnums are nearly the same as the K Series and there are a few of those around too. Maybe you could just get a new short block.

New K341's seem to be available still. Search on internet and several pop up. I guess several companies had stocked up. There also seem to be a good supply of Magnum kohlers as well. Not sure how much different they are either. They're kind of pricey, but they are available. I'v been wondering how hard it would be to put one in my B-10....If I can't find a good briggs 16.....

I have a good and running k241 in wisconsin if you are looking for one. Though you will have to remove the engine from a tractor if you want it. Let me know what you think.

I got a 14HP Kohler Magnum from Smilin Sam for my AC 914 (same as your 714) Bolted right in only thing is that the throttle is now reversed. Mike

You bet I am interested in buying a good used K321 or K341. The closer to Wisconsin, the better. Thanks guys.

I'm rebuilding a K341, and several other engines. Shipping may be around $120 from Ontario, Canada if youre interested

A 16hp briggs fits right in but you may have to put a slit in the chassis if there is oil pan drain plug problem.You wont have to worry about blowing up.They are indestructible.

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
I'm rebuilding a K341, and several other engines. Shipping may be around $120 from Ontario, Canada if youre interested
Oh yes, your offer is indeed interesting. Yet the hope remains that one can be found a good bit closer to home. This things are built in Wisconsin after all. Thanks hey.

quote:
Originally posted by patrician12
A 16hp briggs fits right in but you may have to put a slit in the chassis if there is oil pan drain plug problem.You wont have to worry about blowing up.They are indestructible.
Any engine can be destroyed if not used or maintained correctly. I have acquired several cast iron briggs which were blown up, 10 and 13HP. They will give good service if properly maintained and operated as most any kohler or briggs will.

I decided to rebuild the K-341 in my JD 300, upon the recommendation of the machine shop guy. He said that all conditions being equal the K would outlast a comparable Briggs by 3000 hours (pretty big talk as you can tell), but this guy is a well known engine builder and has a patented racing camshaft design, therefore I'd say his credibility is pretty good. I asked him about the Magnums as well, he said the internals are identical but the externals are not as tough. As he repeatedly told me, "Keep the K!"

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by patrician12
Any engine can be destroyed if not used or maintained correctly. I have acquired several cast iron briggs which were blown up, 10 and 13HP. They will give good service if properly maintained and operated as most any kohler or briggs will.
I agree 100% I just bought an ugly New Holland on ebay, and it has a K341:). Just hope it runs good. I think the price was alright.

quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
I decided to rebuild the K-341 in my JD 300, upon the recommendation of the machine shop guy. He said that all conditions being equal the K would outlast a comparable Briggs by 3000 hours (pretty big talk as you can tell), but this guy is a well known engine builder and has a patented racing camshaft design, therefore I'd say his credibility is pretty good. I asked him about the Magnums as well, he said the internals are identical but the externals are not as tough. As he repeatedly told me, "Keep the K!"
I also have a JD 300 and i'm having issues with it being able to mow but it would run without the mower. I dint wanna rebuild the engine but i guess i should.

quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
I also have a JD 300 and i'm having issues with it being able to mow but it would run without the mower. I dint wanna rebuild the engine but i guess i should.
what kind of issues are you having?

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
How much would you like to see for the total package on a K321 or a K341?