Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Q

Boney

I had asked this a long time ago but have forgotten and cant find the post. Gonna write it down this time, LOL LOL When a tire is 23x8.5x12 Does that mean that it is 23-high, Tread is 8.5"wide and it fits on a 12" wide rim ? Would I put this on a rim 12" tall and 8" or 8.5" wide? Thnx

Yes, those are what the numbers mean. However, you can easily mount a rear tire on a rim that's 1" to 2" narrower than the tire. I think the rims used for 23 x 8.50 x 12 tires are actually only 7" wide or so...

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Yes, those are what the numbers mean. However, you can easily mount a rear tire on a rim that's 1" to 2" narrower than the tire. I think the rims used for 23 x 8.50 x 12 tires are actually only 7" wide or so...
Yep, they are a 12x7 rim. I can't remember what the next size wider is, sometinhing like 12x8 or 9. The narrower rims tend to make the tire sit taller while the wider rims make the tire sit a little lower when aired up. Seems I find those wider rims on the earlier 3100 series using the 23x10.50x12 tires. Those are nice as they have a heavy solid welded plate in them instead of stamped steel one. The other ones I frequently find wide rims on are the Allis 300/400 series that have the 23x10.50x12 tires.

Thnx, I want to get the skinny AGs for the rear and dont want them wider than the stock tires. The tire on there now says "6-12" today I hope to get the tire off the rim and measure it for width. I am thinking the "6-12" may mean 6" wide and 12" across rim. If that is true then I will look for a 23x6x12 if there is such a tire.

There is such a thing as 23x6x12 tires Boney, have a set of goodyear ags on my 725, like 'em a lot. Be sure to measure the rims where the tire seats for the 12 inch measurement and not the outter edge of the rim.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh thnx , a likely mistake I would have made. :) MPH do you remember where ya got them?