Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity sovreign

tj13

i am new to tractors and have been told that model is one of the best. is it? i have the option to buy a 1997 or 1994? are thier any differnces between the 2? what should be a good price? any info would be helpfull. thanks,

tom The sovereign model of tractor has been around since the the 60's I think it is one of the best models they ever made. from a tractor built in 94 to one made in 97 I do not think there are any major diffrences But one thing that you should be aware of is the type of engine used, some time in the late 90's simplicity switched from the kohler command engine to a newer kohler engine "triad". there is alot of info on this triad type of engine, they were "dogs" Make sure the tractor you are looking at does not have this type of engines, if it does i would not pay top dollar for it. There is alot of info here on what to look for in buying a used machine, do your home work and be dilligent in inspecting your potential purchase. Are the machines you are looking at at dealerships? what thye of options/attachments do they come with? What are you looking at price wise for both? take care john

I have a 7117 It had the 17 horse Kohler . The dealer said it was serviced every year and he assured me it was a good deal 1200. is waht i paid for it. Two years later while it was ideling the rods came off the pistons. I was told the Kohlers don't like to idel. The Kohlers had a oil slinging issue on the KT series. I check the oil level every time before starting the engine. I cannot give you advice other than to say if the engine doesn't have an external oil filter, be very aware of oiling issues.

I speak from experience about the Triad engine in the Sovereign class tractor. The guy I bought it from cleaned it up, and I dodn't look closely enough to notice the significant oil leak on the #1 valve cover, so I paid him too much. Not top dollar, but too much. When I got it home, I noticed the leak, and replaced the valve cover for about $50. Tractor runs like a champ now, so I'm happy. However, if I had "done the research" here on this web site, I would have learned about this sort of engine. At the same time, I don't think that Simplicity and Kohler intentionally made a "bad" engine, but whatever design changes that were made by Kohler, and whatever marketing decisions that were made by Simplicity combined to make a sub-optimal combination. On top of all that, it is time consuming to actually do the research. If you don't know which questions to ask, you may not get the info you need. Plus, one person's great experience may be countered by another's lousy experience. Plus, the deal you're offered probably isn't going to last long enough to do all the research you need. But what model tractor are you looking at? You don't say in your initial post.

the 94 model(maybe 96) has very low hours and is in great shape. price is about $1200. the 97 comes with a snowthrower and plow.i am still waiting for more info on this,the price is said to be about $3500.are these units that good? what should stop me from buying a deere at the local box shop? are they that bad? the units are both the soveriegn series,i would like to have a tractor that can do winter plowing and some minor farming work.

Tom, From experence I can tell you that soveriegn class machine will take what ever you throw at it. I have pulled 20 ft campers with them. If you can dream it most likly the sovergein will do it. The Deeres from Home Depot will be a fine lawn mower, but if you intend to do other things with this tractor the soveriegn has take nearly whatever you toss at it. Also check out how long it takes to hook up attachments. This weekend I went from the mower deck, to blade, to tiller. Less than 10 minutes to switch implements and I was not even trying to go that fast. Lastly that one for $1200 sounds like a deal. I picked up a 36" snow blower for my tractor last year for $100, as blade for another $100. Watch Ebay for the attachments Thy tend too not go past a couple hundred dollars.

The FT-17 motors did not have and oil pump,so when you got on a side hill with low oil the motor wasn't spraying oil on the crankshaft form the camshaft which caused the problem. KT17 are 2 cyc motors if it has a 1 cyc motor kohler go for it.

Depends on what Engines are in the tractors. you absolutely do not want one with the TH-18 v-twin. Thats the one with the overhead cam that has all the problems everyone is griping about. If its got a CH-18 or a MAgnum twin, that would be a whole lot better.

As new as those tractors are they would not have the series one KT17. Series 2 KT's did have pressurized lubrication.

i am going to see one of them tonight,will thier be anything i should look or lookout for?when i look at the enginge will it be easy to tell what model it is? thanks for the help.

Look on the engine cover for the ID tag. If it sez TH18, it's a Triad. If it sez CH18, it's a Command. The consensus around here is that the Command engines are better.

thanks fot the feedback.my friend bought it for me,i could not get out of work in time.he was an arborist/landscaper years ago,he told me it is in mint condition.it has the 'comercial version engine' according to him,he mentioned pressureized oil feed,large external oil filter and a few other things about it.he spent about an hour going over it for me,the only problem he found was the battery leaked and bubbled the paint. the final price was $1100.

good luck with it i am sure you will be pleased with it's performance, if you have the ability post a few pics of it. good luck john