Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar repower kit

WITom

Does anyone make a Honda 20 hp repower kit for a Sunstar? If so, could you please provide me with a link, phone number, ect? Thank you! Tom

Make sure you check out the contents of such a kit, and that it includes all needed parts, such as PTO clutch, spacers, etc..

Hi, If you buy a kit be sure whoever developes it has addressed the cooling issues. I have received a number of calls from people that have purchased Honda kits for other applications and have overheating problems and questions about fixing it. The engine manufacturers all have very specific cooling specs and there established processes for measuring to ensure they are met. These tests are done in a controlled environment and done under load on a dyno. Having a kit that has not been certified and having a heat related failure may result in no warranty. I would recommend if you are buying a kit that you contact the engine mfr and see if the kit maker has met there specs. In a related issue, mufflers must be certified by the engine manufacturer to establish the mufflers do not cause the engine to not meet emissions tests. When we do a kit, and we do not offer a Honda Sun Star kit, if the mufffler we use has not been certified with the engine we use, (example a muffler may have passed emissions on a Kohler 20 hp, but can't be used on a 25 without us submitting it to Kohler and have it EPA certified in a test cell. There are severe federal penalties for putting these engines out of compliance. To do kits and comply with the law, requires interaction with the engine manufacturers and meeting EPA requirements. The engine manufacturers can tell you if you are on safe ground. Al Eden

Hi Al. I took a good look around at your website dealing with repower kits. Pretty impressive the work you go through to put a kit together that is designed to work correctly. I see you offer Kohler - I've got 2 Kohlers in my tractors, a 10 hp and a 14 hp and have had good luck with them. But I also have a love affair with Honda engines, which is why I asked about their availability in a repower kit. Right now, my main tractor is a 1914 Deutz Allis, which is plenty for what I have here. But my folks are getting up there in age and I have taken over mowing their yard now. Fine and dandy - I'll just use their 175 (gasp!) Deere. The problem is the thing has seen it's better days and after seeing the beautiful job of mowing a Simplicity deck does, the darker shade of green just doesn't cut it - pun intended! They have a huge yard so I'm looking for something with more power and a larger deck. I've been keeping my eye out for a 1918 or 1920 and have recently found a 1920 with what the current owner feels is a bad engine. If I could get it reasonable enough, I'm tossing around repowering it. Anyhow, after reading other member's posts about your kits, I will certainly keep you at the top of the list of contacts if the need arises.