Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

loss of power

antiquecowboy

ok lets see i keep running into problems i have an allis chalers model 312d right now im running it with the plow on every time i raise or lower it my altmeter goes to 0 in discharge ive tried a new battery but it still does the same can anybody help me with this thanks

Do you have an electric actuator on the lift? If so and it only happens when it's actuated and charges when not that's OK, The charging system just doesn't put out as much as the actuator uses so it has to take some from the battery. The Ameter reads juice going and coming from the battery not generator output so really you are not lossing juice just charging power. Limit your up and down.

yes i have the electric lifter but this has never happened before and like i said i put a brand new battery in and when i went to lift the plow it went right down to zero

If this was only after installing the new battery, then the battery may have less reserve capacity than required for that tractor. I have a car like that. I need to put a new battery in it because the voltage will drop rather quickly with the headlights on and wipers, if the engine is at idle. No problems at higher rpms. Also the battery will not sustain cranking the engine, if it doesn't start on the first or second try. I bought one new battery that read correct voltage, and showed full charge when the density of the electrolyte fluid was measured, but just wouldn't maintain the voltage under load. The store finally did a load test on it (after some some significant arguing resulting in store owner becoming involved) and found that the battery was bad. They replaced it with a good one.

well im not sure but the battery thats in it is 3 yrs old and ive charged it a few times but but the new one was good as far as a load im just wondering what else besides the battery might cause it

If its only when the plow is moved and only started recently, I'd look for a short somewhere in the circuit for the actuator, possibly a frayed wire.

ok i checked no frayed or cut wires what 's next before i lose more hair?

OK is the actuator wired straight to the battery? If so the ameter should actually go up when you hit the switch (after the battery has recovered from starting) because more juice would flow in that direction. Any loose or corroded connection between the generator and battery can cause this. A worn voltage regulator could also get hot under heavy load and momemtarily loose connection inside.

This tractor has a transitorized voltage rectifier. Make sure it is clean and does not have a bad board Charlie had one of his 410's stop charging because of it. My 312H (Fremont) has the same setup.

right it has a 10 amp system i was thinking that maybe it was the regulator are they still easy to purchase?