Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No Excuses

Nubian

You guys won't believe what I did to Big Daddy,after getting new seals and gaskets put in for around 2 bills. I proceeded to switch to Synthetic oil,but for some UNKNOWN reason I never completed the process,this was just last winter. Well the day before yesterday I ran out to try to get my first mow of the season in and about halfway through my Kohler stopped. I did not have a good feeling about it, checked the oil and it was practically bone dry[:0][:0][:0][:0] and would not restart. After I put some oil in and it cooled down I started it,but now it smokes alot. Is this engine shot? should I replace it or run it till it dies? Or does it just need a ring job? I have to tell all you kohler haters out there that even in my sorrow I have found great admiration for these Magnum engines. I ran it several times without oil during the winter clearing my driveway and it is just now giving up. Now that's putting up a fight! Will I hurt it more if I keep running it? Will it have the same power?It was suggested that I change the oil and filter to get rid of the metal shavings and keep running it. Is that a good idea? What to do?

If it was mine, I would pull it apart and do a complete overhaul. Whatever it needed. Even if it is a Kohler, it deserves the best of care.

If you can afford it rebuild it. If not then at least change the oil and filter. You should probably pull it apart and inspect it anyway to see how bad it is. I know those aren't cheap to rebuild if they're anything like the KT's.

If there's no funny noises just run it awhile and see if the rings will reseat, if not then think about a rebuild/rings. You'll have to do what we do at the Garage from now on, hang a little card off the hood that say's "no oil" while in the middle of a service.

If you want to salvage anything you had better tear into it now. It probably won't last much longer. All the engines I've seen that locked up or quit running for any reason due to lack of oil has some type of crank/rod damage so it's just a matter of time to a catostofic event.

Mannnnnnn .... I'm glad I ain't the only one thats done that. I managed to remember I forgot to put oil in it right after it fired up and shut it right back off. Done that twice over the years. I was lucky in that I never had em running more than 10 - 20 seconds before shutting them off. In your case, I d say its overhaul time.... I wouldn't want to run it more not knowing if the crank and rods are scored up or not.

I say take it apart and rebuild it again.Replace what it needs.Wouldnt run it anymore or you might not be able to rebuild it.Just my 2 cents Tony

what does an average rebuild cost? a new engine runs around 2k and a shortblock around 1400. Ed

You may find that all it needs is rings. My son blew the oil fill plug(along with most of the oil) out of one of my engines (B/S) while plowing snow. He put the plug back in, but did not re-fill the oil. He then continued clearing the driveway. I went to use it the next time, and no oil on dipstick. Filled it, and had a significant gnat smoke from that time on. Pulled it apart the next summer, put new rings in it and it doesn't use any oil. Many times, when an engine is overheated, the only damage done is to take the temper out of the rings. A new set and you are back in business. I was. If it is not knocking, I would try a set of rings. That is, if the cylinder bore looks to be in good shape with no scoring.

Ed been there done that B) About 3 years ago i spent the entire winter going through and doing a functional restore on my 3112h. I did the best i could and it looked good, well I was soo excited to get it all together that well >>>>> somehow i forgot to put the oil in. Well i got it running that first time and boy it ran rough, i spent about 4 min reving the engine and trying to adjust my brand new carb ($100.00 plus) well i fuigures that the carb was not the problem right about the time i heard the loud BANG. My mistake cost me a cam rod and piston/rings. I spent about 2 hours picking melted alumnium out of the rod journal I was lucky and saved the crank because it was like $280.00. If i were you i would open it up and check everything pay perticular attension to the rod and crank for any signs of overheating ect. Good luck and dont sweat it many of us have been there:D

Can't add anything to what has already been said. except if you run it, it just may throw a rod though the block,and that ends the motor for good.

Well I got a couple of estimates, all the shops around me are suggesting a new engine they say a ring job or a rebuild would not be cost effective. Better off buying a new engine they say. I'm guessing you guys would do your own work, but I have never done that before. I will learn though, I plan to buy another tractor with the same engine and swap them, then I'll take the original apart at my pace and learn from there.

Iwas at the local shop the other day and some guy was there that looked like he knew everything looking for a price on a short block for his push mower . after he left the guy at the shop told me he just bought a new mower and took it out of box and started to use it. didn't know you had to add oil....

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
Iwas at the local shop the other day and some guy was there that looked like he knew everything looking for a price on a short block for his push mower . after he left the guy at the shop told me he just bought a new mower and took it out of box and started to use it. didn't know you had to add oil....
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D