Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dumb and duller

Tom Deutsch

Sharpened my blades last weekend. Spring grass is thick here in southern Ohio and my dull blades...just weren't cutting it! The wife had spread Scotts all over the lawn and you can practically hear the grass grow -- it's like painting a bridge -- by the time I get done it's time to start over again. Anyhoo, got them nice and razor sharp and put em back on. Monday and Tuesday night, mowed the lawn. Man is that grass thick and tough! Just wants to lay down under the blade. Mowing in first gear and still looks like my mower has no guts. I wondered if maybe my engine wasn't revving high enough (posted the rpm question) and gave my wife a load of grief about "no more fertilizer!" Last night, I took a peak under the deck and what do you know -- some fool had put on my blades backward! Works much better now, folks, with the sharp edge encountering the grass. Maybe this should be a technical tip. :I:o)B)

Never done that one, but just as good...I got the PTO belt twisted backwards on my 3410 so...the blades were spinning backwards! Fortunately only my faithful dog saw this one, and he ain't talking! Brian

I sure am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has twisted the PTO belt the wrong way. I had just finished rebuilding my tractor and mower deck from the ground up and my wife was laughing at me because after all that work I had done the yard would have looked better if I had just kicked at the grass a bit. Once, I realized my mistake and fixed it, I was the one laughing as I finished the yard in 2nd gear(quite a feat given its overgrown condition).

PTO belt also But I would double check your mechanics work next time to make sure he did it right.LOL I always engage the blades and bump the starter WITH THE SWITCH OFF to make sure they are turn the right way.

My dad done this about two weeks ago with his craftsman with gator blades, no wonder why it was digging up the grass.

Guys that's a mighty small boat you're in in awfully swift water. Did you loose your paddle too?? Oh yeah! do you have room for one more dummy? I've been there on both counts!

how about twisting the drive belt on a Broadmoor 728--- gives you three reverses and one forward!

Wow Bill! I can almost picture doing that one intentionally. Be a heck of a way to freak out your friends.

Never put the blades on backwards or the belt. However, I see it all the time. But this one beats all. The neighbor brought over his bush-hog and asked me to rebuild the front of it where it looked to be rusted/busted out. I repaired it with about 3hrs of welding and patching and called him to help me hook it up and he was on his way. No big deal right?? Thats what I tjought too. As soon as he started it up across the road I heard it framming around and the blades beating on something solid. He came right back and upon inspection, I found it had the wrong blades on it. Not backwards, just about 3"s too long. After the repair it's now hiting. It must have at least helped to speed up the damage that had occured to the front but I was amazed at the number of years the wrong blades had been on with only now finding out they were to long. I took the tourch and whacked off equal amounts and he rode away happy. I wish all the weird problems were this easy to handle.

Add one more to the list of haveing the blades on backwards, funny thing though, I hadn't notice any differance in how the lawn looked. Did not find out I had the blades on backwards until the middle of mowing season when I went to sharpen the blades and noticed them on wrong. After flipping the blades over the correct way they did not seem to cut the grass as nice as they did when on backwards.

Lonny, that makes me wonder if you had the blades on backwards AND the belt twisted. The blades would be turning the wrong way, but since they would be on backwards the cutting edge would be facing the right way to cut the grass! Maybe when you turned the blades the correct way you still had the belt twisted and they were now facing the wrong way to cut properly. :) DaveM

I put the chain on backwards on a Stihl chainsaw once. The amazing thing is it still cut through a tree. I just thought it was a tough tree until I checked out the chain after. So far, I haven't done it again.

I've done the "reverse belt" trick before. The funny thing was that even though the blades were turning backwards I was still getting a good enough cut that the other two guys there(I was mowing the soccer field) commented about what a great job my "old tractor" (it was a 3310) was doing.... and what a nice stripe pattern it left!!

I've not done that myself yet, but I have bought more than one Simplicity tractor cheap because the owners had done so and thought their tractor was junk and mowe terrible. They commonly go out and buy a new Deere and want to get rid of their "junk Simplicity". All I did was go home look the tractors over , found the problem, turned the blades around and went right to mowing a beatiful lawn. Amazing....