Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No spark from 112

gwiseman

Working on my new addition - B112 that is supposed to have been running when sheded 2 yrs ago. I can see that motor has had some work w/new gas line & filter, points and plug look newer, and the wire from coil to key switch has been spliced with crimped sleeves and other visible signs. No fire to plug. Adjusted and cleaned points; took wire off switch and connected to points; cleaned ground on battery/head bolt; regulator/side panel, and switch/panel..still no fire. I cannot see a problem outside..is it time to lift the motor out to check the coil and flywheel? Is there an easy test? Thanks in advance.

I would take off the "stop" wire that goes between the points and key switch and try it. If you then have spark, the trouble is in the tractor wiring. If it still doesn't spark, I'd take the engine out to check coil, timing and internal wiring on motor. After 2 yrs in a shed, you may have a mouse nest inside motor blower housing. Dan

I think it is time to take the motor out and check the coil and flywheel.Make sure the flywheel is clean and the coil legs are too.More the likely there is a mouse nest in there.Just my 2 cent Tony

Make sure your points aren't shorted. My B-112 had a new set of points but would not fire checked everything else and was good. The points them self were shorted to ground. Installed new set and one turn and it was running.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I am with Maynard on this. It`s usually the points when there is no spark.
I've been baffled on this one:I. I tried the wire from points to the switch but still no spark. Will stick a new set of points and condenser in it this weekend and that will determine the next step. Thanks to everyone:)!

one rare possibility is that the flywheel has lost its magnetism. Like I said rare but I have seen it happen.

quote:
Originally posted by JJ MARSHALL
check your flywheel key a small indent can throw it out of time. JJ
Well - it's gonna be over a week b/f I can get to it now[V]. Had to order the points FriB), leaving for a northern IA trip Tues-Thurs and for Lansing,MI on Fri-Sun to a daughter. Oh well, I will be armed with good advice when I get to sit down and give her another whirl:). Thank you!

Hi Gene. When I got my B12 it had no spark, the igntion switch was bad and always keeping it grounded to kill the spark. The guy also had the points gapped too wide. Reset the points and put in a new switch and it was running. Luckiliy my problem was simple, hopefully yours will be too. If you're gonna be in the St.Louis area and you'd like to drop by and talk tractors give me a PM. Only met one guy from this site in person so far. Have fun on your trips. Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Took advice and replaced points and condensor. Walla - I had fire at the plug. Still would not start ?so I removed the carb and sprayed cleaner in it to remove yellow tinted varnish. Replaced the carb and the B112 started nearly as quickly as I hit the button. Have been driving and mowing brown grass this weekend. THANKS GUYS!:D